Varget powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by pandc, Apr 17, 2013.

1. pandc

pandc New Member

Just wanted to share that tonight my wife and I went to Bass Pro In Gurnee, Il to look for a new dog bed. I was curious to look in the reloading-gun section and I was thrilled to find 4 one pound jugs of Varget powder. I have been looking for this stuff for months and here it was. I grabbed 4 (2 for me and 2 for my wife). There was a limit of 2 per person. I was like a kid in a candy shop !!!:):):):):)

2. bigjim

bigjim New Member

While I may not agree on doing that, I can say I understand and don't blame anyone for doing that. I have been looking for some more Win-231 for months now. Down to 3 lbs (Ahhhh). Hope to find some before I get down to 2 lbs.(LOL) These shortages suck.

Stay safe.
    Jim

3. pandc

pandc New Member

Big Jim...what dont you agree with?

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I know what he means and I don't agree with it either. There was a limit of two pounds and you got all four. I would have left the other two pounds for a fellow shooter. Though legal, you got them on a technicality, and I don't think it was ethical. People hoarding components are part of the shortage problem. Personally, I would not admit doing such a selfish deed on a public forum.
    ct

5. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I don't see a problem with it. I could go through 4 pounds pretty quick loading for .223. Hording is people buying it just to stock it and not planning on using it. Would it have been different if he bought a 4lb jug? I bought 1k primers today. Should I have only bought 100 and left 100 for 9 fellow shooters? If you are gonna use it buy it.

6. clearsights

clearsights New Member

Some places have started to say 'per family.' Helps prevent that issue.

7. cottontop

cottontop Guest

powder

No, because the 4# jug is one sku unit. When you bought the primers, did they ring up one price 10 times or one price? Did you go out to buy primers specifically, or to buy a dog bed and then saw the primers?

8. Kdub

Kdub New Member

I went out to buy an FNX .45. Sadly I only had money for primers. I understand the problem with hoarding and panic buying. It just seems to me the people complaining are the ones who didn't prepare enough ahead of time. Yes the high prices and low availability are driving me crazy, but I have enough to shoot when I want to. Poor planning on someone's part doesnt constitute a crisis on my part. I'm sitting back and waiting just like everyone else. When it does end a lot of people will have paid a lot of money for things that they could have bought at half. When the time comes reap the reward.

9. pandc

pandc New Member

I hadn't had any powder since December. It's not like I bought all I could carry and then tried to re-sell it in Gunbroker for triple the price ! I will use the powder and not exploit others that are in need.

10. pandc

pandc New Member

So I should be ashamed that I bought 4 lbs of powder ? Wow you are sure judgmental.

11. cottontop

cottontop Guest

ashamed?

Did I write that you should feel "ashamed?" No, I did not. Why are you putting words into my post that I did not write? Just be more considerate next time.
    ct

12. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I am envious as I too am searching in vain for Varget or 4895 for mt 308. BTW, I would have done the same thing.......buying as much as was available.

13. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

Yep just got mine in from LGS waited 3 months went ahead and or 8 pds I feel much better now

image-1332399393.jpg

14. TheoShooter

TheoShooter New Member

You did fine getting all four pounds. Lucky you. It's not hoarding if you're going to use it. You were just at the right place at the right time.

15. Seven

Seven New Member

Yes, no, maybe. meh. But as other(s) said, I really wouldn't make a public brag post about my score.

Look at it like this...say you were in the store, third in line. In front of you was a husband and his wife. The husband tells the clerk "I'll take two of those powders, and my wife here (wink, wink) will take the other two." How would you feel then?

16. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

What bugs me about this post is all the people so weak in their convictions that they embrace the tenets of communism so easily.

"It's not fair" is an argument best left to liberal swine. You got a deal, good for you, if I were the one behind you in line I would blame myself for not showing up earlier. Yes, it's hard to get. Should i get the chance to buy at a decent price I would buy all I could. This is capitalism people, you should embrace it. Either that or quit lamenting the loss of freedom as YOU are the ones not supporting its practice.

Freedom is not fair and is sometimes painful to those who truly exercise it. Get over it! Or, join the liberals in the progressive march. Just so you know, that will cost you your guns in the long run.

17. Seven

Seven New Member

You are right. As a gun community we shouldn't care about each other as long as "I got mine!"

18. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

More like, "I took care of mine." Whatever makes you "feel" better i guess.

19. Seven

Seven New Member

Right. PSA should quit selling AR mags for $12. They should sell them for $50 so they can "take care of theirs."

20. langenc

langenc New Member

4 pounds equal 28000 grains. I suspect the 223 load uses about 25-28 grains. So you have enough for 1000-1100 rounds.

Do you have 1000 bullets??

1000 bullets about $200, powder probably $100 and the primers about $40. So you will have at least $340 bucks in those rounds, assuming you have the brass to recycle. You will have enough ammo for 5 trips to the range. Now only if you can find time to do the loading you are all set.