vaquero project - which punches should I use?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Chesterton77, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Chesterton77

Chesterton77 New Member

I am pretty new to this forum, so forgive me if this has already been discussed. My Father-In-Law has asked if I can do some minor work to his Vaquero - replace the broken transfer bar. Anything special I need to know? How about punches - can I use my typical punch set, or do I need cup tips? Thanks in advance

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont believe i use a single punch other than to trap the mainspring and maneuver the internal springs around their stays. any old punch thats small enough should do. all the parts are pretty much held in by screws. couple of pins holding the hammer trigger sear in place your going to have a more difficult time getting em to stay than drifting them out...

ive got apair of new vaquero and do all my own internal mods. i know the guns pretty well. be sure your using hollow ground screw driver bits that fit the screw head EXACTLY or your going to bugger em up.

3. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Be careful the screwdriver doesn't mar the back strap on the grip frame. I use a plastic punch to push out the pins so I don't mark up the head of the pins.

4. Chesterton77

Chesterton77 New Member

Thanks for the help - good information.