valve grinding compound

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by easterner123, Jul 26, 2009.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I just got some stuff called patgel, its used on cars and machines. I was told by a family member to put it on the rails of my 870, pump it a few hundred times, clean it out, then oil it and pump some more. the end result would be a nice slick and smooth slide. have any of you guys heard of this?

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I wouldn't use any abrasives or rouge on a gun. Normal use will loosen up a slide.

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I wouldn't do it. If you do, let us know how it turns out. I have used vlave grinding compound to grind valves, and to hone a shotgun chamber, before I found out using a brake wheel cylinder hone was much easier.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Valve grinding compound is TOO COURSE-use lapping compound instead-#400 will do the job nicely. Be SURE to flush it all out throughly with gun scrubber or something like it & relub.

5. layton

layton New Member

I have a ? I have looked and have noticed that it is available, is goosegrease not used any longer for weapon lube?

Layton

6. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

ok, I now have lapping compound but am having trouble re assembling the action :confused::( I'll work it out im sure, i have just a normal remington 870, not a wingmaster, nothing special. on the side it has a guy standing in some reeds holding a stick, and it came with a synthetic stock and foregrip. any helps on reassembling the pump would be much appreciated. it wont go in all the way, even when I hold when I hold down the shell catchers at the bottom of the chamber. the lapping compound isnt too coarse and I will give a range report here soon on how it performs.