Value of a Remington 1917 Enfield?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Dr. Marneaus, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Hi!

I've been watching some on gun broker, but not too many are selling. Looked at sold auctions, and some are between 250-600.

This belongs to a friend. 114XXX, 1918 manufacture.

The good:
    The metal is fine all over. The bore is fine too. Nothing spectacular, but deep rifling. Minor pitting i think, but i havent scrubbed it super well. It's complete except for the front sling swivel it seems.

The bad:
    The bolt doesnt match the serial, but it is something like 154XXX serial.
    Crack in the stock. Stock is dark but then again it's a 100 year old rifle.

I plan to give it a decent cleaning to get all the gunk out of everything, but not on changing anything or doing anything harsh.

Any idea on value? My friend will likely be letting this go before too long.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Matching bolt, good stock, they are actually selling for around $600, dealers are ASKING more. In that shape, maybe $400.

3. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

This is for sale in the classifieds, FYI.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am getting old. I remember buying one for $27.95 shipped to Alaska. That was in 1959. Of course money was worth more then.

5. xring3

xring3 Member

might try a consignment at the LGS

6. drboompa

drboompa New Member

Stocks can be repaired by folks who know their business. They are excellent rifles and good shooters. My first I bought in 1960 for $30.00; the second one for many times that. :)

7. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I have the same gun in good shape and I wouldn't let it go for $1000. It was my great grandfathers. He carried it in the old solders parade in out town. When I got it you couldn't see light thru the bore. But it was because all the wax tipped blanks that had been shot thru it when he was still able to do the parades. I think I have 3 in opened metal cans of those blanks and a case opened still. The bore is great in mine. I shoot it about once a year at the range. What a great rifle.

8. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I agree with c3shooter's estimate for that beautiful rifle.

I would clean it up real nice but I would not repair anything on it unless you absolutely had to. Leave the wood alone unless the varnish is coming off. Do not repair the damaged wood underneath the bolt handle.

Leaving it as original as possible will keep or increase the value over time.

IMHO, that is.

9. samnev

samnev New Member

The price for an unmolested 1917 has skyrocketed in the last few years and the are getting increasing hard to find. Most the I have seen are either WW II refurbs or beaters. With righteous VG+ to Excellent ones th asking price is $800-$1000.