value of 1920's tommy gun?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by gunbroker, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

I've recently come into some money, and I've decided I want to get a real tommy gun, not a reproduction. I'm talking about a genuine antique one. (with the drum clip) I wanted one for a while now, so how much do you think a working one will cost me? A link to somewhere I can find one would be even better. Thanks!

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Gunbroker, welcome to the forum. Can you go by the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself?

3. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

I'll drop by later, but can you answer my question?

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Very very expensive if you can even find an original one. Good luck.

5. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

like I said, money is virtually not an issue. I guess finding one will be the problem.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Shi you are the God of the information super highway.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Lots of them out there for sale. Do a little Googlin'. You should be able
    to find a decent shooter in the 10,000-14,000 range, a NICE one for around
    20K. Highest priced one I found was a Colt--asking price 56,000.

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Audie Murphy Special

If you can find one of the Originals you better have deep pockets. then you'll be strip searched. by the U S Gumbment. three months to a year to aquire a permit. Thats if they find you are sane enough to own one. $200 a year for the permit. Where the Sub goes so does the paper work and permit. you cannot seperate the two at any time. If you're caught with the gun an no papers they take your sub and you go to jail. If your lucky the price will start at $7,ooo if you're lucky. Now Back To Introductions. Wills in da swamp in La. ONE SHOT KILL!!!!!!!!Have a Nice Day:)

10. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

wow, thanks. I'll keep this handy.

11. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

yeah, I was looking for something around 10-15k. Looks like I'll be paying about that.

12. gunbroker

gunbroker New Member

yeah, I guess I can understand the limits. something like this can really do some damage. I'm clean, fortunately.

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

It's not nearly that bad. It takes about 8 weeks for the ATF to process your paperwork. You will need fingerprints and your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer to sign off on it before submitting. The $200 tax stamp is paid once, NOT yearly, and all they do is run a background check based on ID and fingerprints. If you are clean they give you your paperwork. You then make a copy of the paperwok and put it in the gun case in case anyone ever asks to see it. No one has EVER asked me for it... From then on you have to notify the ATF when you move so they can keep track of the gun. Actually pretty darn simple and the ATF guys are very nice and helpful not the dark vicious ogers most folks that have never dealt with them make them out to be.

BTW these types of guns are fantastic investments that will only continue going up in value. Have fun shopping.

14. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Fair is fair...now where's our Introduction? :)

Jack

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

See what money does. You forget who you friends are! Don't get mad GETEVEN!!!!!!!!!!

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

About 5 years ago, the Rock Island County Sheriff found a completely original Thompson in their basement that had been there since about 1928 (since the time of the notorious George Looney of "Road to Perdition" fame).

IIRC, it went at auction north of $30,000.

17. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

This story is hard to believe, since it would've had to be registered before 1986 to still be legal. Maybe it was a 1927, instead? There are stories that pop up every now and then about old 1928's that were hidden in basements being found.

The problem is that all the old full autos had to be registered and tax stamped (the paperwork and $200 stamp that others have mentioned already) by a certain date with the atf years ago. There is no grandfather law for them, unfortunately. Now, either it was found in the early 1980's and went up for auction or it is not a full auto tommy.

I really want one too, by the way. I spent several months researching them and realized that I'll have to wait several more years before I can even think about affording one. At an average price of $15,000 plus taxes, it is an expensive toy.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

This encouraged me to do a news search at the Moline Dispatch (the local paper). The event happened in late 2005, early 2006. I can't get at the whole story because the archive requires one to be a subscriber to read the entire article. But what you can read from the snippets is even more astounding. The gun sold at auction for more than $80,000.

Here is the announcement of the auction results from the Rock Island Auction Company... PDF.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  19. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

well, it had to have been registered before 1986 and received a full-auto tax stamp. Maybe the owner registered it in the 60's, 70's, early 80's... whenever, then he put it away and forgot about it? From everything I've heard and read, there is absolutely no grandfather clause for full-auto weapons that weren't given a FA tax stamp before 1986. Of course, this doesn't apply to newly-made "samples" and inventory made by authorized people/businesses for law enforcement and military use, but that's another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.