Vaccum Packing

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by lukeisme, Apr 4, 2010.

1. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

I have a question on vaccum packing ammunition. Does anyone know if its safe or is there even a reason to do so. I have most of the stuff in my BOB packed that way, it reduces space and keeps things dry. I even packed my handgun that way. Ammo is the concern. Any input would be welcome. BTW I am using a "seal a meal" type system not some hudge industial packer.
    Thanks

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I dunno. What I do know is that there have been reports of ammo getting put through the washing machine and they still fire without a problem. I say do what you want. I do want to know what your plans are to keep stuff dry if you really do need to bug out and open the sealed stuff. Sure it will be dry when you first take stuff out, but what about after that? Your vaccum packer run on batteries? Do you plan on taking it with you and using an inverter? What happens when you run out of bag material? How do you keep the vaccum packer dry?

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I think the OP won't need any of the vacuum after the ammo are vacuum packed. ;) I am sure he won't pack them as one rather in smaller batches...say per box and no need to re-pack after opening a pack.

I think it is a good idea. Using zip lock type bags might work too but probably not as good. The advantage of zip lock is they are reusable.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I have one of these in my BOB and it is portable, cheap and you can get additional bags. The pump is a hand pump actuated and you can use it to waterproof ammo, powder, matches, food or anything else you can fit in the bags to seal. :)
    [​IMG]

Under $10 for the sealer and a couple of different bag sizes, gallon or quarts, containing 8 to 12 bags.

Jack

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This is interesting. Jack and I have completely different backgrounds and yet this is the third or fourth exact product match that we have in our personal equipment. :cool::eek:

JD

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Now that is going to be a new addition. I have some dry bags and the o-ring containers for matches, tinder and the like. I don't know why I have not gotten the zip loc hand pump thingy yet. Maybe tomorrow. Most excellent. :D

7. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

Ths Zip Lock bags are a GREAT IDEA!!!

8. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I have those as well. Great minds think alike!

9. cbw

cbw New Member

ac-u jack for one

10. orangello

orangello New Member

For some reason, that Ziploc pump keeps reminding me of the Austin Powers movie???

11. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

LOL I like the Austin Powers comment .. I have both the electric vacum system as well as the hand pump model and yea it works great ( Both of them ) I vaccum packed a assortment of items including seperate amounts of ammo , Dry food stuff , fire starter blocks.. items are packed for indivitual use for instance I keep two fire starter blocks in one vaccum packet . so in case I need to cross a water area and I get every thing wet I know I have dry items . the vaccum bags a alot stronger then zip lock bags as they are thicker and yes I do carry some zip lock bags for some items I use over and over like a lighter or some quick energy candy .....

12. sahoo

sahoo New Member

vaccum bags

While I'm trying to store up ammo, I'm also trying to figure out good ways to store it safely and protect it from possible damage. Looking at some of the ammo deals at gun-deals.com, I noticed plastic "battle packs". This makes sense when physical protection isn't needed as much as waterproofing, etc.
    Also if you need to know more then you can visit :Orved - Macchine confezionatrici per il sottovuoto professionali which is an online outlet for supplying vacuum packing machines, storage bags, cooking bags, vacuum bags, and channelled bags etc. :http://cdn.firearmstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

13. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Personally i vacuum seal a lot of my reloads that I don't plan on shooting right away, then it gets put away as "reserve" You can never have too much ammo. I just started reloading a month or so ago and the ammo is starting to stack up, and I have been shooting way more than usual as well.. :D

14. fabiotiraboschi

fabiotiraboschi New Member

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I prefer my trolls introduce themselves before tracking mud through the house to sell stuff....

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I vacuum pack some of mine, especially if I don't plan on using them right away or ever, and yes I have some I DON'T ever plan on using !............