Vacation / Retirement home

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by partdeux, Jul 31, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

we found a campground about 5 years ago that we absolutely fell in love with. So much so, we sold our travel trailer and bought an existing park model (think mobile home), with a 250 sq ft addition. Fast forward, last fall we decided to put up a new unit, and spent literally 4-6 weeks choosing the ideal site. Kind of forced the issue to pour the cement RIGHT NOW (in October). What a great decision that was.

Our original plan was delivery on 4/15... thanks to covid that shifted to 6/18. After we poured the cement, we got a knock on our door, is that your cement? Are you selling this place? How much. Wife and I had already decided on a final selling price, and they said SOLD. We agreed on 6/1 turnover, which they graciously extended to 7/1.

Even tho we wer barely functional, we held to the 7/1 date. It's been a bit crowded living in 400 sq ft with previously 650 sqft of living space. Construction debris, dust, and noise while I'm working from home.

We added more cement, and today added even more. Apparently 100 yds of cement wasn't enough :)

The 400sqft of add on room (stick built) is finishing up the drywall. I've put in surround sound speaker wires for in wall speaker. Added a support board for 65" TV and my reloading room (and safe) are doubled joist with kneewall directly under the safe. We're siiting under the deck overhang listening to streaming music tonight and enjoying adult beverages.

Our long term plans are to live here 6-8 months and travel the rest of the time. We're buying a '22 model year Super Duty truck and 5th wheel that same winter/ spring.

Sitting out here on the deck enjoying adult beverages, it's extremely peaceful looking over the water. We've made the right decisions. Even the campground owner came by thanking us for being one step ahead of them... not like it's not my profession to manage large scale projects :)

Our long term plans were to sell the B&M house in 3-5 years... that may get pulled way ahead. Covid showed me to be much more effective working from home than even in the office. I still need to go in from time to time. But, it's an 1:45 from the campground. so for now, I plan to be in the office one day a week, still need to check on the house once a week. And besides, golf league is on Monday anyway!

Peaceful doesn't even begin to describe this. The risk is, since it's a campground, we're at the whims of the management. The current managing director is very aware of customers, and his partner, heir apparent to being GM is also very aware that "full time" residents keep the park open. Will we ever get our money out of this, absolutely not... but guess what, I DON'T CARE :).

dango, primer1, Rifling82 and 4 others like this.
  2. Capacitor

Capacitor Active Member

So where is this?

dango, PeeJay1313 and towboater like this.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

No pictures??? Sounds great!

dango and Rifling82 like this.
  4. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Sounds nice but like you said your life is in someone else's hands

dango and RJF22553 like this.
  5. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

You will get every penny's worth out of it, in quality of life. You can't take it with you, enjoy it while you are here!

JTJ, dango, ellis36 and 1 other person like this.
  6. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I rent my house. Been here for almost 8 years. My rent is ridiculously cheap, $500 and the landlord has never raised it. I do any easy, affordable fixes I can and I'm sure that's helped keep the rent down. Also I'm in a college town, so he knows that with me here he has a stable renter and the place won't get torn up or visited by the cops every holiday.:cool:
    IMG_20181018_134218.jpg
    3 bedroom with a carport, on 3/4 acre in the historical section. The original house burned in the 1970s and he put this cheesy prefab on the lot. I'm surrounded by large homes that were built in the 1920s and post war. Most on 1 - 2 acre lots.
    IMG_20191112_062157.jpg
    Looking to the back which is all trees. Neighbors cottage behind fence.
    IMG_20191112_062213.jpg
    Estate directly across the street. It's like a freaking arboretum! Recently sold for just under $1,000,000

Rifling82, dango and ellis36 like this.
  7. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Am literally "out in the Wilderness" as described by civil-war-era documents. Stonewall Jackson's flanking maneuver in the battle of Chancellorsville was but ¼ miles away. 25 acres, surrounded with trees. Can't see any neighbors because of them. Horses are happy, wife is happy, our dogs were happy, and I am happy.

They'll haul my lifeless body from this place. After ATF "clears" this place...

Love God's critters that inhabit this farm, and they bring us joy each and every day. Our two pooches are buried here, and part of my cremated remains will be with them.

This is truly a vacation home, that happens to be our home.

Rifling82, JTJ, primer1 and 4 others like this.
  8. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

At what price does one place on things that make the spirit soar ? You may have gotten more than you even know . Good luck to you and enjoy every of it !

Rifling82, JTJ and ellis36 like this.
  9. Capacitor

Capacitor Active Member

Looks to be a hit and run poster, he hasn’t been back since his OP.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  10. c3shooter

RJF- I have been in your area before. It is more like 25 acres, surrounded by relic hunters with metal detectors!!! Had a friend that lived right next to the battlefield at Cold Harbor. Relic hunters used to drive him nuts.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That sign he has keeps them at bay.
    No Trespassing.
    Violators will be shot.
    Survivors will be shot again.

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. John Lee

John Lee New Member

Visitors will be shot too, preventively.

13. c3shooter

My "No Trespassing" sign is a little different.

[​IMG]

14. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like that one..

Rifling82 likes this.
  15. RJF22553

C3, you are mostly correct! Our place is too inaccessible for any but the die-hard relic hunters. Besides, our land was just outside of the battle area and surrounded by private property with owners that don't "cotton-to" trespassers. Wilderness Run (which is also my property line) sometimes comes up with some relics after a flood, but those are mostly pieces/parts of an old grist mill (Herndon's Mill) that was active during the Civil War. About ½ mile SW is a large cornfield, where the Confederates had set up a field hospital for the battle of Chancellorsville - the same field hospital that amputated Stonewall Jackson's arm. It was up-stream on Wilderness Run from my property. I've seen plenty of folks with metal detectors in the cornfield - with the owner's permission, but none around here for likely two reasons: they know there were no battles or large troop movements here, and every description of "the Wilderness" from period writings hold true now (impassable). To coin an old phrase from the Ft. Beginning School for Boys, "there are two types of vines: 'wait-a-minute vines' and 'you will wait-a-minute vines'". Both are prolific here.

I did buy a metal detector, but that was to find the variety of pieces-parts that perpetually seem to fall off of our tractors, implements, mowers, and UTV on a regular basis out in the pasture. And for finding ejected brass from a shoot-fest. And finding nails left-over after mending a board fence. I have found the occasional mini-ball, but it turns out that was from the previous owner's kids shooting replicas.

Should you find yourself in the area of the intersection of Rt 20 and Rt 3, PM me and perhaps we can share some lies (socially distanced, of course...). And perhaps pop some caps.

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. c3shooter

I would love to. Unfortunately, I am full time caregiver for my wife, and that keeps me real close to home. But I greatly appreciate the offer.

winds-of-change, ellis36 and RJF22553 like this.
  17. RJF22553

C3, I understand completely! God Bless You!!! And your bride.

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

you must be new around here :)

Photos... I have some on my phone, this was the crew pouring more cement. Long story, but we actually created an issue that needed more cement to correct.
    [​IMG]

I'll get some more photos later. Been a bit busy with work, 11+ hours working from home, and then a couple more hours working on the new construction. I haven't shot since January PPC, and getting to the point where I don't where home is. This is feeling more and more like home, and the house, the place where I go for one or two nights to stay when I actually have to go into the office, and my weekly golf league. Wife brought her garage queen out last week and is having a blast driving it, first time in two years for her.

ellis36 and boatme98 like this.