VA - buying a gun and transfering within family

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by PeteZaHut, Dec 22, 2010.

1. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

I have been through the VA gun laws and haven't been able to find anything this specific. I am 20 years old. If one of my parents were to buy a handgun now, could they just give it to me when I turn 21?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If both you and your family live in Virginia, and you are not prohibited by law from owning a firearm, yes. Virginia (along with most of the US) does not have registration of ordinary firearms.

3. User Name

User Name New Member

+1 to c3, they can actually give it to you before you are 21. You can legally own a handgun at 18. You just cant legally buy it. So if you parents buy it they can give it to you now. However I would make a bill of sale saying that they gave it to you on the date that it occurred and for how much. If they give it to you then put as a gift. This way you are both protected. If you parents ever get mad at you they cannot claim that its stolen, and if it ever is involved in a shooting, they are covered that it is now in your possession.

4. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

The reason you cannot find anything specific is because in Virginia the laws don't allow us to do things, they specifically prohibit certain activities. If something isn't prohibited or regulated, it is perfectly legal.

Here is the relevent law:
    You can posses a handgun at age 18, but you cannot purchase one from a licensed dealer until age 21. That basically limits you receiving one as a gift or buying in a private party sale. There is a message board called Virginia Gun Trader where Virginian's list firearms for sale/trade.

You also cannot obtain a concealed handgun permit until you are 21, which limits you to carrying openly (which plenty of folks in Virginia do).

This page, though anti-gun, has a very thorough explanation of Virginia's firearms laws:

Legal Community Against Violence

5. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

where do you conclude that you can own a handgun once your 18 as long as you didn't purchase it. The section you quoted says it is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess a handgun.

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

WRONG.

AT 18, you can buy handguns 24 hours a day. What you cannot purchase is a handgun from a federally licensed dealer.

Private purchases are entirely legal.

From the cited information, it clearly states 18.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  7. PeteZaHut

PeteZaHut New Member

haha I'm such an idiot. I should probably read things more thoroughly.

8. User Name

User Name New Member

Sorry I left out legally buy it from a licensed dealer. Your right, private party sales are perfectly legal 18+. Sorry I worded that wrong. Thank you for correcting my wording.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Come on guys;

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

Cane brings up a valid point, make the OP find out through the proper avenues. Not trying to be a hyprocrate Cane, after thought, you brought up a good point.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Is legal title to the firearm so important? Just let your parent make the purchase and allow you to use it when you need it. I have two or three firearms that were purchased by my father and given to me as a youth; i have no problem with that. After you are over 21, do a private sale with your parent, IF you are concerned with them being "legally" yours.

12. corrinavatan

corrinavatan New Member

Send an email to your local justice department. If you go to the VA Justice Department website, you can ask the question, they will answer you, and will give you correct info you can act upon.

And, if for some reason the info they gave you was WRONG, you have evidence that someone at the justice department gave you the info, which will get any case against you dropped (usually).