Uts 15?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by RustyShackleford101, Apr 24, 2013.

1. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

2. We had one transferred through the LGS last week. Not nearly as heavy as it appears in photos, which may not be a good thing. The purchaser didn't do any shooting but I'm hoping to hear from him if he didn't get it as a safe queen.

Examination points to it being slower and more awkward to load than a KSG and the KSG is probably slower to load than the original Neostead.

That video gives me pause, that's NOT what I expect of a shotgun made for serious social use. There's a possibility that it was just a fluke that got through QC, but right now I'd reluctantly hold off on getting one unless it was for a 'gotta have one of everything' collection.

3. RustyShackleford101

Yeah, it really baffled me that every review I've read in the magazines is glowing! It's like what he was talking about, the gun rags are kind of like one big advertisement. I'm gonna stay away from the UTS and hope they get their shi!t together.

4. RustyShackleford101

I was laughing for most of the review.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

nutnfancy comes across as a whiny little brat but he is generally fair in his reviews.

ive seen a couple of other similar reports of those same issues. the ones that seem to give the uts a good review didnt do much or any shooting with one.

6. nixfix

nixfix New Member

There is a recent YouTube episode by FPSRussia about the UTS. Of the three (!) he has, two break within short order.

7. RustyShackleford101

It seems like all the big publications are just becoming ad sources for the companies. Even if they tested the UTS and hated it, I bet they would still call it awesome, just to go with pop culture.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

What do they ever knock? They're never even a poop sandwich - crud surrounded by something good to say!

9. RustyShackleford101

The "experts" try to pass off serious design flaws as "things to get used to". Yeah, the gun jams every other shot and the cheap plastic will break easily, but if you train enough, you'll figure it out.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

On gun rag articles...
    Y'all know who's paying their bills, right? I'll give you a hint: it ain't the average subscriber.

Really, when's the last time you read a bad review?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

they arent becoming anything. the gun rags have been this way since publication day #1. if you pick up a gun rag expecting honest reviews your going to be buying an aweful lot of schlock items

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yep. Many, if not all, gun writers are simply salesmen.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Pulled this out of the comments section.

When THREE of the biggest gun reviewers on youtube all have problems with a gun, that's not good. Take the $1200 you'd blow on this gun and go buy a Mossberg 500, and RIA 1911, a Mosin Nagant 91/30, and about $200-$300 worth of ammo. You'd be much happier.

14. RustyShackleford101

Well stated.

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have personally shot this gun, (not mine). I think the gun comes off with a quality feel. Well built. On shooting it; it will in fact not cycle correctly if you don't give it a FULL stroke, and you have to do it like you mean it. I think this could be a problem, if used in a defense situation. I think it's bulky. I also think the gun would be WAY better in a semi-auto configuration. Being a pump doesn't really make any sense to me......

Would I buy one? No. If it were a semi? Probably not, but only because of cost issues.:)

16. RustyShackleford101

Did you have any problems with the pretty liberal amount of plastic on the gun?

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of weeks back I went to visit a fellow gun nut in PA who bought one of these "things". After firing about 25 rounds through it, I was not impressed. It felt cheap, was hard to cycle even with a vertical fore grip, and just didn't feel right in my hands. I told my friend what I thought of his new toy, and told him I myself would sell it and buy a 500 and an 870 instead. He loves it, I wouldn't take one as a gift. The model 500 bullpup was better made than the UTS 15 IMO.

Just MHO, YMMV.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No, not really. It didn't feel cheap to me. A gun like this, if it had any amount of metal on it, it would weigh a ton. My opinion is as long as the gun was designed this way, not an issue. If a manufacturer starts replacing metal parts on an existing gun with plastic, to cheapen it, that's where I have a problem.....
    I do agree with Kfox75 about cycling it. I didn't have THAT much trouble, and I bet it could be overcome with training, but, still. I'd rather see it as a semi.