UTG Pro Weaver/Picatinny Rail

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by silverado113, Feb 12, 2012.

1. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Looking to trade out the stock hand guards for the UTG Pro weaver/ picatinny set. Mind you it's only so I can mount a foregrip and maybe a bipod. I'm not going to be using the rifle to breech any doors or SWAT type stuff it's just for plinking so I don't want to drop 200+ on some mil spec rails. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their UTG rail system? Or any other recommendations under $100.

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You might look at MOE handguards with rail sections or other mounts. Cheaper, lighter and better than UTG.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Thanks Quentin I'll check em out.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

MOE w/ mounts from www.impactweaponscomponents.com. They have everything from bi-pod mounts to light mounts, sling mounts and hand stops that will fit the MOE w/o all those bulky rail pieces.

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Thanks it was a hell of a lot easier when it was just issued to me....lol

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not for me. I am not a happy camper when I can't move things around to my liking and 550 cord tie downs suck. Good times but glad they are over.:D

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I got medically retired 7 years before I hit my 20 and it's only been 7 months since I retired so I'm still trying to get use to being a civilian and this crazy civilian world.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I can kind of relate. I didn't do near that long but ETS'd shortly after getting back in country. I remember staring into my closet not knowing what do do next because nobody had specified PTs or BDUs/DCUs. It's an odd feeling.

But anyway please don't take this wrong but stay the hell away from UTG. If you need anything Quentin is a level headed guy w/ a bunch of know how. Or if you want PM me about the IWC stuff. I have ordered a decent amount of things from the guy. The CS is great. He goes as far as to write a handwritten thank you on each invoice. IWC has a great standing on a lot of forums.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Not at all that's why I asked it seemed too good to be true and I'm looking through their products now. Do the Magpul rails allow for mil spec accessories to be mounted?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What do you need to attach? I'm just sitting here wondering why I've wasted the day and would be happy to help :)

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Just a all in one milspec fore grip/bipod for now.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Magpul handguards installed with a great fit thanks.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Awesome, glad to hear.

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You cant beat Magpul products :)

15. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

For the price they are great. Range report coming tomorrow.

Attached Files:

16. Car54

Car54 New Member

Have to ask, why?

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Why did I have a problem with the freedoms of being back in the civilian world at first, why is IWC great, or why is UTG not quality?

18. Car54

Car54 New Member

The stay away from UTG comment.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

They are airsoft quality and heavy. I hear they have recently started a line geared toward real firearms. I saw one of their 10" rails runs around 15-16oz. My DD 12" quad weights 15oz. I have 13" tubes that weight 10-11oz. A 15-16oz 10in rail is excessive.