USPSA Match, Circleville, 3/3/12

Discussion in 'Ohio Gun Forum' started by Reshoot, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

PCSI (Pickaway County Sportsman, Incorporated) will hold their first USPSA match of the year on March 3rd. They usually have 4 stages plus a qualifier.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

what do you have to do to get into this match...never done it before and what type of rifles are aloud

3. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

This match (USPSA) is strictly handguns. You will have to check out the PCSI web page for rifle match info. I am not familiar with that segment.

It is a very nice little range, and I have no doubt you will meet some nice people!

4. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

yeah I looked at the website after I wrote the response. What are the pistol events and what is the entry fee and all the goods.

5. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

I don't know the fee for the steel challange match . . . never shot it. The USPSA match is 15 dollars. However, your first-ever match is 5 bucks. There is a safety orientation for first timers.

Setup and tear down is done by club members, and contestants. I try to get there 8 ~ 8:30. Shooters meeting usually 9:30 ~ 10, with shooting starting right after.

The fewer constants that help setup, the later the match starts. Helping is certainly not mandatory but, much appreciated.

They always have 5 stages, with one being a qualifier. It is a by-the-book Level I match, with score sheet sign-off and everything. First rate match!

Each bay has a shelter, seating bench the full length of the shelter and tables. A real nice place!

I am not a club member but, do my share of work and have made some great friends there. Many meet at Roosters afterwards, for a late lunch. That and dish out a lot of BS excuses for their misses :D

6. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

Is Conrad still the MD?

7. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

No. He stepped down last November. He is still on the club board of directors though. They had a new match director lined up, and then suddently his work is going to take him to Carleston, WV. Bummer too, for he is a great guy . . . Tad Hardbardger (I think that's the correct spelling).

I was told yesterday, by Tad, that Kyle Farris (our new area 5 director) and Chad are going to get this first match done.

8. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

That sucks. I really liked conrads mini major local matches

9. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

Pack your rain gear! Looks like we may get wet :(

I hope this year is not a repeat of last year. First three matchs, last year, found us shooting in the rain!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  10. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

3 no-shoot hits and 5 mikes. It's like I didn't even practice this past week!

Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you :(

11. AlwaysAardvarks

AlwaysAardvarks New Member

Just joined PCSI this morning, then had to make a bee-line to work! Sorry I missed meeting you, and watching the fun. Next time, for sure.

12. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

What is a no-shoot hit?

Still learning here.

13. kem1139

kem1139 New Member

Are they still accepting members at the club? Last I heard they had about 50 memberships still open but its been a few weeks. I recently lost my job so I've been trying to scrimp the extra pennies together to join but times are tight for that kind of stuff.

14. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

The no-shoot target . . . one of my worst enemies. Ha!

First let me explain the USPSA / IPSC "Metric" target. (don't ask me why they call it a "metric" target . . . makes no sense to me!) Anyhow, the first image shows the metric target with its five scoring zones: upper A, lower A, B, C and D.

The no-shoot target is a metric target with no scoring zones, and is always white. If you put a hole in a no-shoot target, you will be penalized 10 points. Oh yeah, your score is reduced 10 points for EVERY hole.

I have included two images showing five no-shoots on my practice range. This will give you an idea of how they might be used when poppers and steel plates are involved. Look at one image and you will see that some of the small poppers are behind a no-shoot. In the next image I have taken a few steps giving me a shot. ( I should point out that my poppers are not official size. I intentially made them small, to raise the level of difficulty)

More often than not, you will see no-shoots used with metric targets. That is, attached to the front of the metric target and covering part of the scoring zones. A common practice is to cover half of the lower A zone.

I don't know what it is about the color white but, it really attracts lead! :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  15. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Thanks for the explanation. I get it now. Lol

16. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

How were the stages? Long? Short?

17. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

3 long courses, 1 short course and the qualifier was "Oh No". Can't remember the number for Oh No.

I found the short course to be the most fun, even though the round count was just 8! On the left side of the bay were two large poppers, the one on the outside activating a drop-turn located on the right side of the bay. In the middle of the bay, two metric targets.

um . . . . now I remember why I liked that quicke. I was able to shoot it with 8 rounds. Yeah, it was my best stage! :rolleyes:

18. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

low round count.. the mini majors are no more?

19. Reshoot

Reshoot New Member

The three long course's were as good as ever! Jason did a great job, considering he had to step back in, as match director on short notice. He approached two or three people, that day, asking them to consider the job.

Very good turn out for a March match too . . . 37 shooters ;)

20. mtbfarms

mtbfarms New Member

Oh good it was a conrad match. Was the super squad there?