USMC Commandant Wants .45 ACP

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JW357

JW357 New Member

2. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

It was my understanding that the Corps already had .45ACP's, I remember reading they even built their own 1911's.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

MARSOC uses a .45 ACP, I believe a 1911. Some other specialty units might as well. But it isn't the norm.

The standard issue for Military Police, Infantry, and everyone else who gets issued a pistol is still the Beretta M9.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

He has made some decisions that... Well let's just say a lot of Marines do not agree with.

But, his tour as Commandant should be ending soon, and it looks like lately he is starting to right some of the wrongs that have happened.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i see nothing wrong with the Marines going back to the 1911 in 45 acp.

there has to be a reason the elites are carrying the 1911.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Tradition goes back a long ways with the USMC. They prefer to stay with what works best for them.

8. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

When you are using GI Ball you need all the advantage you can get.

9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Soldiers would like all sorts of things, you don't always get what you want. Did they give any reason why they want to change to .45. Its the first time I have heard of soldiers asking for a firearm with less mag capacity. Is it just that the .45 myth is still live and well.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

True, soldiers don't always get what they want. But 4-star Generals have a pretty decent shot.

Reason? Nope, none given.

I would assume a bigger hole in the absence of hollow points would have something to do with it.

11. bradam

bradam Member

I have a nephew who is a Captain in the Marine Corp and I was a grunt a long time ago. I used the 45, he has been using the the 9mm. The myth of the 45 is: pure stopping power, at least in his and his fellow comrades eyes.

12. manta

If it was a 14 shot .45 maybe there would be some logic, stopping to reload a 7 shot could get you killed, never mind the calibre. As I said I have never heard soldiers asking for a firearm with less capacity.

Not getting into a calibre war, the problem is that it is a myth. People have being shot with .45 numerous times and kept fighting , just like they have being shot with other and kept on fighting. PS I wonder how many times handguns are used on the battlefield, and their importance.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  13. JW357

JW357 New Member

The article never said anything about a 1911. All it mentioned was the caliber, not the platform.

14. manta

True I was assuming they would want a similar platform already used by some marines. I think its a 1911 7 shot platform, time will tell.

15. bradam

bradam Member

Bingo. the larger hole rules since hollow points are not allowed.

16. bradam

bradam Member

I know vets from Nam used the .45 a lot. In the middle east probably not so much. I would like to know where someone was shot several times with a .45 and kept coming. I think the .45 was originally brought in the military to stop that from happening.

17. bradam

bradam Member

Civilians have the luxury of arguments and debates over many things. The military do what their told and use the equipment they are given. No arguments, no debates, end of discussion. Semper Fi:D

18. R1D2

R1D2 New Member

Never used 45. But if say they lengthen the mag capacity. Than I'm all for it.. the M9 if I recall right has 15 and a 1911 has ? 8. But for combat I agree with the change, with body armor and things.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I hear they may be bringing back rolled sleeves.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.