Using an AR-15 to hunt???

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BDSTRICK, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BDSTRICK

BDSTRICK New Member

I was talkin with some buddies of mine that dont hunt but arent against it (they are soldiers) about using a Carbine type weapon to hunt with? They consider it unsportsmanlike to do with it being an "assult rifle". Opinions? do any off yall hunt with an AR?

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Plenty of people use an AR type to hunt with , its no different than a semi auto 5 shot rifle that people use to hunt with every day , i wouldnt worry about what others say and if you are buy a low capacity mag for it and use it , Also depends on what your hunting , If it were me and I was going to hunt deer or anything bigger I would be using a .308

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Its unsportsmanlike to empty a full 30 mag at a deer, sure.

Not unsportsmanlike to cleanly take an animal with a single well placed shot.

Didn't matter what gun is used as far as I'm concerned.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I do not hunt deer with the AR in 223/5.56 but do use it frequently to hunt coyotes and pigs. Both in the day and with Night Vision in Texas. Illegal to use NV in Tennessee to hunt! Which sucks~ The AR is light and shorter which makes it easy and fast handling for hunting. Yes! there has been occasions where I have had to shot a pig twice if I did not hit it exactly where I wanted. Of course with any caliber and especially with the smaller calibers shot placement is the key. Will it kill a deer? "Sure will", but "Good" shot placement is a requirement! Otherwise the deer will run off and die never to be seen again! I have the ultimate respect for all animals I kill predator, pig or what ever. And believe in the quickest most humane way possible. DRT is best!

5. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

For me, it's not the firearm that's the issue, it's the person behind it. A responsible hunter should be able to make a kill shot most of the time with the first round: occasionally, a follow up shot might be needed to take something down. So there is not much need for more than a few rounds, maybe 2 to 4 rounds. So Remington 700, AR, Browning A-Bolt - they are just the instruments delivering the rounds if used responsibly.

It's a bit scary when you are out hunting and you hear someone quickly cracking off 8 or 10 rounds trying to "catch up" with running game. If they missed with the first or second round, they'll probably miss with the next six or eight too, and it's those rounds flying through the hunting grounds that scare me. You don't hear 8 or 10 quick rounds from a Remington 700 or Browning A-Bolt hunter...you get that most of the time from the hunters with black guns.

6. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I see no problem with hunting with an AR. They are no different from the good old Remington 7400 or other wood stocked semi-auto's that have been used for decades. Yeah a moron spraying and praying with an AR or any other gun is just that... a moron.
    I hunted with my AR with a 450 Bushmaster upper this year. 5 shot magazine and no different from any other sporting arm. The people who do not like them have fallen for the anti gunners BS.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Tell them to buy some 5 shot mags or only give them one cartidge to hunt with. Sinle shot AR!! They will quickly learn to control that first shot. 20 or 30 round mags for hunting kinda stupid anyhow.

8. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have 4 AR's I hunt with. I have a 6.8 SPCII, a 458 Socom, a 5.56 carbine and a 5.56 AR pistol. They are all capable of one shot DRT kills. I have killed hundreds of hogs with the 5.56 and quite a few deer. I find the AR platform to be one of the best hunting weapons made. I dont know why anyone would call an AR an assault rifle except for the people that wanted to create a class of weapons that could be singled out so they could be treated differantly than other weapons. One persons deffinition of an assault weapon today could include the lever action 30/30 tomarrow.:(

9. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

Ask Jim Zumbo what he thinks of AR's for hunting:D

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Jim zumo ??? Really, who cares what he thinks.

11. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

Jim Zumbo was/ is one of those big time tv star hunters who is supported by the outdoor industry, that is until he made a statement that HE didnt think that assault weapons should be used for hunting. It created such a stink that Remington and other sponsors and his fans pitched a *****. A week later he apologized to every one
    on his TV show for making a un thought out statement that hurt all hunters. He then did a couple of shows featuring hunting with AR's.

What made his statement so bad is that it gave anti hunters ammo to use against us. The anti groups can now
    say "look even hunters dont like these evil assualt weapons, we need to ban them" The same thing can be said of this post and others just like it. The anti trolls that troll through hunting forums look/create topics like this to use in their agenda. They love it when they can get fellow hunters talking bad about the way other hunters do things.
    I am not pointing fingers or saying that was the intent of this post. I am just pointng out a fact of the world we live in. United we stand, Devided we fall.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  12. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Let me go ask the 100 or so varmints that had their guts sprayed all over a bean field how they liked being shot with my Ar vs my 700 VSSF.

If the caliber meets your state requirements and your rifle does too. Who the hell cares it is not like the AR is a weapon that kills animals at the sight of it.

Good lord tell them to grow up and grow a brain.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Very well said, TBB! Thanks for posting that. It's exactly why many of us get riled when antigun terms and propaganda are used here. Why play into the gungrabbers' hands.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Cuz of weight!!! I'm not sure who would want to hunt with a fully-loaded 30-round magazine.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

boarbuster!

You are right that the 458 SOCOM will kill a boar! OR should we say DRT HAMMER a PIG! Which it does is a split second. Never had a pig go down any quicker. Of course I do wish to refer to the weapon system as the AR or AR Platform. Anyway the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel is also a good choice. :)

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

when your down near the mexican border you better have more than one or two rounds in your magazine. if you dont its a real possibility the drug runners armed by barrack hussein obama with weapons the average US citizen cannot legally own will either kill you or kidnap you.

17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

sniper03 I have seen some before. Some yabadoos ride'n look'n for piggys back in florida with ether AR's or AK's. Gives you a real mall ninja feeling.

JonM Guess where legal you can allways keep that monster mag or 2 in your pocket or pack. Kinda sounds like the cc guy that has to have 18 rounds on them instead 7 round mag. xm or glock vs 1911 or kahr Ether way. If I am on my game I will see them before they see me.

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

JonM, that's funny, I was thinking, "Except for the border areas" too. But I'm in Oregon so I don't usually plan confronting drug cartels. Occasionally a pot grow operation, perhaps.

19. Gerv

Gerv New Member

I shot an 80lb doe at 75 yds and a 150lb 8 point at 100+ yds this year with my rock river carbine with an eotech this year. Both dropped. It's all about shot placement.