Using a rangefinder reticle

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by kd0afk, Oct 17, 2015.

1. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I'm trying to figure out the bottom part.

2. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

What does the bottom part represent?

[​IMG]

3. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  4. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

Well, mine at max magnification, an 18" target doesn't cover half of the top choke line at 100 yards.

5. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

18" target covers the top choke line at around 10 yards at max zoom

6. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I haven't checked the central portion

7. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

"/ The range finding choke is calibrated for the LOWEST POWER
    ZOOM SETTING for the particular optic model."; from the manual.

The choke only works at the base magnification in 2nd focal plane models. As magnification is increased the etched surface gets magnified also. Throws the etchings out of calibration. First focal plane scopes don't have this problem, but they carry higher price tags. Run the magnification down to base and the choke should work properly for you.

8. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

At the lowest magnification the target covers about 1/5 of the top line at 100 yards

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  9. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

At the lowest power zoom: 6x, the top line of the choke covers 11" at 7 yards.

10. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

If the lower power is used with the choke, what magnification do I use with the cross part of the reticle.
    And no, on a second focal plane scope the reticle stays the same size as the image zooms.

11. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I don't want to tell anyone their business, but according to the manual, if a target takes up one segment of the cross hairs ie 6 mils, that target is at 187 yards. Something like that. Now that's all the way zoomed out for the target to be small enough to only take up 6 mils. Now, I shift the target down to the choke and a target that was ranged at 187 yards without zooming in any, maintaining minimum zoom level, according to the choke, the target is now 1000 yards away.

12. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I think the manual has a typo. I think it should read that the choke is used at maximum magnification.

13. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

14. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I've been looking at the scope more and the p4 portion looks to be accurate but I think the choke is calibrated for deer.

15. rammac2155

rammac2155 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't you just play with the screws on the top and sides of the scope until you hit the bullseye?

16. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

I did with this scope. I don't have a bore sighting tool so I had to fiddle a bit.

17. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

If you look at the instructions put out by trinity force or Steve or whoever, it says the p4 is used at the lowest zoom. But then on page two it says use the choke at the lowest zoom. The top line of the choke represents 18" @ 100 yrds at maximum zoom

18. kd0afk

kd0afk New Member

Seriously, no further comments on this subject by ANYONE? wow?!?!

19. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

your lucky to range within a +- 1000yards with a trinity force optic. these are barely airsoft quality from what i am seeing.

my opinion zero it ignore the lines as they are likely far far far from any sort of accuracy.

an accurate reticle with any resonable accuracy is a couple hundred just for the reticle and lenses much less the rest of the optic at manufacturer cost