using a coat hanger as pin for brake?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Twpbaseball10, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

has anyone ever heard of using a coat hanger to pin a weld their brake to their barrel? I am trying to figure out something to use for when I attach my brake on my barrel this weekend

2. fireguy

fireguy New Member

We used to use baling wire to braze exhaust pipes. I'm afraid hangar wire would need a big flame from the torch to make it work. I wouldn't want to heat the end of the barrel that much.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have heard of it, never done it. Real challenge is the soldering...you must use silver solder and it must be permanent...or at least be able to withstand the torque applied if it is ever challenged. A simple pinning of the brake is not sufficient.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKct1l8uXh4[/ame]

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes iv done it........unless you are a DAMN GOOD welder DO NOT try it.

5. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

Well I'm just doing the drilling. I am going to have a welder do the welding for me.
    I was also thinking of buying 2 of the same drill bits and cut one to fit in the hole and have that welded up.
    What do you guys use as pins?

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Brass dowel rod-3/32

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

This may sound stupid...but if it was threaded, would something like JB Weld work? People repair cylinder blocks with that stuff.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No it doesnt work. It will crack out and break.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Would look pretty strange if you used the entire hanger......:rolleyes:

While drill steel is extremely tough, it will also be tough to ever remove. Using brass would be easier to machine out in the future, and may take silver solder better.

10. Rick1967

Thanks Marlin. I have to ask since you were so quick to know the answer. Did you try it? Or am I the only one with crazy ideas like that?

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

No I haven't tried it. Iv removed a bunch of it though. Then I do it right and weld the dang pins in em....or weld it onto the barrel permanently. I have all sorts of crazy ideas as well. Some work some don't.

12. Rick1967

I always enjoy learning from other peoples mistakes. It is much cheaper that way.

SWSinTN likes this.
  13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Can be....until its you who loses the work from folks learning

14. Twpbaseball10

Twpbaseball10 New Member

I don't plan on taking it off tell you the truth. But anyway is there any certain rods you can buy at the store? I'll try to take a ride tiday

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

If you don't want to remove it have a GOOD TIG welder put it on there.

16. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I wouldn't try that, i have used plenty of coat hanger when we don't have any rods. You have to heat the metal almost until it starts to puddle like with gas rods.. I would not want to do that with any barrel I liked. For all the time and effort of trying a do it yourself and chancing ruining your barrel just have someone tig it like marlin suggested

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Done it but many yrs ago- are hangers even the same "material" these days?
    Agreee on the tig/mig-
    Now days you can buy a little one for about the cost of a good barrel--

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A good little Lincoln 110 can be bought for cheaper than a decent barrel usually

19. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Not sure about how many years ago you are refering, I have been using them for aver 20 years and seem about the same to me.. They always seemed to me like an inbetween of a brazing rod and welding rod.. You dont get nearly the penetration that you do with a true welding rod.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The only thing they are good for welding wise is doing exhaust work w oxy-fuel