Using a bore snake to clean

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Beezer, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Beezer

Beezer New Member

I am reading the instructions on the bore snake and it makes no mention of oiling the snake, like you would with a rod and patches.

Are you not supposed to oil a bore snake? Should I oil it up before I run it through? Or should I use the bore snake to clean and rod/patches to oil?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Member

I use mine as a cleaner only. Often put some Hoppes #9 on it, and run it through a couple of times. If you want to oil the inside of the barrel, I would use a patch.

3. Mercator

Mercator New Member

No, don't oil it. Oil after, if you have to (fo long term storage?) The snake is for cleaning only. Wash it in soapy water periodically. To apply oil you will need a cleaning rod (or a wood dowel) and a patch.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I wouldn't use a bore snake anymore than I had to. When the army issues steel cleaning rods they issue a guide to go with it. Nylon rope will cut a barrel faster than a steel rod.

I used to have a block and tackle that came off a tugboat. Instead of using cable I used a 1 1/2" nylon rope in it. In less than ten years the rope cut through the pulley system.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I use bore snakes quite a lot, have one for every caliber I own. Been using a bore snake on my .270 Ruger M77 for 10 - 12 years now, still puts venison in the freezer.

YMMV, that is why there are dozens of cleaning systems to choose from.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I sometimes use cotton clothesline to clean smaller bore

rifles. It soaks up fluid nicely, and also picks up dirt well.

Use string for a leader, soak the line in ATF, once it is

in the barrel, you can use a back-forth motion to help

break loose crud. Then use the same method with solvent.

be careful not to expose the stock or exterior of the

rifle, extra rags are important.

I prefer this on rifles where the chamber end can't easily

take a cleaning rod, like a Garand or Mini. The cheap

manila fiber rope, or clothesline is disposable, once it gets

dirty.

Then do a quick follow-up with a jag and a rag, and you are

ready to oil.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Fiber rope. Good thinking! I figure you can tie a knot and squeegee the bore. Getting one at the Tru Value today.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I just used my bore snake a second ago to clean a barrel on a gun I just got I usually hit the first brush section with oil and right where the snake turns fat with oil and run it through once and it usually does the job . Unless your bore looks like a cave with stalagtites and stalagmites with crap growing in it I wouldn't use bore cleaner. But every once in a blue moon I'll put a few drops of that on too before I run it through with oil.

I love me some bore snakes. I'd like to shake the hand of whoever invented them .

9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I use a bore snake after every range session, before I put my pistols or rifle away I run a snake through them followed with a light oiled patch of miltec1 or Essox.