Uses for throwing knives

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by TrueNorth, May 1, 2011.

1. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Most of us have seen a throwing knife - essentially a weighted blade with a tang that doubles as a handle - one long metal piece.

I do not have the skill, or see much use in getting the skill to use a throwing knife, BUT I have thought of getting a few and using them as pre-made blades to attach to other things.

Whenever anyone gets lost in the woods, it seems like they always make a spear by sharpening a stick, and I am wondering if anyone thinks it possible to attach the throwing knife to the end of a stick to serve that same purpose.

I havn't tried it, but has anyone tried using thesse blades for anyhting other than throwing?

What other reasons do people carry throwing knives?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I really know nothing about this subject but in thinking this through, I think a throwing knife attached to the end of a stick would put too much weight at the 'sharp' end of that stick and throwing a home made spear like that would be difficult. You'd probably be better off if you got lost in the woods, had a throwing knife and knew how to throw it. It seems a sharpened stick at the end of a long stick would be more balanced for throwing. As to how useful that would be, I don't know.

I'm looking forward to reading replies from people who actually know something about this, though. :)

3. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The weight would help with balance when throwing but most throwing knives aren't very good steel and if it sticks into a tree it will bend or break the blade.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

You are indeed correct. ;)

Cold Steel Bowie Blade Bushman Knife

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgrRq3Bdojc"]YouTube - Cold Steel Bushman Series (Survival Knives)[/ame]

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  6. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

7. freefall

freefall New Member

You're thinking of carrying a spare knife or two of dubious edge holding capability into the bush in case you get lost and want to make spear points of them? Seriously?:rolleyes:

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

OMG, LMFAS!

That reminds me of a kid who I worked with a few years ago. He was talking about fire starting and saying the 'best' method is steel wool and a battery.

I asked "Who the heck is going to have steel wool and a battery when they're lost in the woods?"

He Said, "What you do is, when you do something you think might have the possibility of getting stranded, you put some steel wool and a batter in your pocket ahead of time."

I said "A I'm not putting steel wool and a battery in my pocket at the same time, and B if I 'think I might get lost/stranded' I'm taking a damn lighter and matches."

9. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

Other then the video they also make pretty damn good light carry knives, not really much there to break. I can't throw the things worth a damn so pretty much just a back up knife.

10. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

lol - to respond to some of the comments here:

No, I don't intend to carry a throwing with me all the time on the off chance I get lost and desire a spear.

I was thinking of adding one to my Bob (in addition to my hunting knife and multitool), but got to thinking about what it would be useful for. I don't intend to have one on me at all times.

I wanted to know if they were functional beyond throwing applications and could be useful for other things, or if they are just not worth the trouble.

11. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I would advise against throwing your weapon... its generally a bad idea, in a survival situation anyway. Granted they are designed for throwing and strapping on a spear but unless you have a seperate knife reserved for still having I wouldnt do it. What happens if you throw the spear and it sticks in the animal but breaks the stick and the animal runs off? there goes your knife. What happens if you throw it and it goes in the river and floats down stream? or goes off of a cliff, or a mighty phoenix swoops down and catches it mid flight to use as nest building material :eek:

Get a good hunting knife and if you are wanting to put another blade in your pack, get a hatchet with a solid back end on it you can use for hammering. A hatchet would save you immense amounts of energy when building a shelter and also greatly reduce the effort for flint knapping some rocks to strap to your stick which you can then throw at your quary without fear of losing it... its just a rock and a stick and some vine or other type off cordage and some tree resin (sap).

On a side note, I wouldnt mind having a few of those aforementioned blades. I dont know how i feel about the rounded handle, i would prefer some with flat tangs on them so you could more easily carry them in a smaller package.