Used handguns and their prices

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Luminescence, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Luminescence

Luminescence New Member

Can someone explain why the price of used firearms (especially handguns) tend to be hardly anything less than their brand new counterparts?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

A well made handgun can last for decades. A very good handgun commands a price because of its quality. The Colt name and S&W name adds value because of their history of quality.

Of course, the prices stay high because there's always some criminal, er, politician, who wants to ban them too....

3. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

One word covers it...

DEMAND

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

That's one thing that I really like about guns, they don't depriate $4000 when you walk out the gunstore with them. Buy a car for 30K and drive/take care of it for 5 years and it's worth 9K. Buy a gun for $1,000 and shoot/keep it clean and in 5 years it's worth pretty close to $1,000.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Actually, it's more like buy a gun for $1000, take good care of it, keep it 5 years, and now it's worth $1500. Good quality firearms do not DEpreciate in value, they tend to Appreciate in value. Better than 401k's have in the past 6 months, anyway........:eek:

6. Steve-M

Steve-M New Member

Don't forget supply!!!

7. imashooter

imashooter New Member

I could not have said it any better - nice... :)

8. kdog

kdog New Member

I would also say it depends very much on the model of the gun.

Take a CZ75, just for instance.
    Mine is from 1986 and works perfectly. I payd 80 Euro for it at my local gunsmith. Dead cheap, because it is a very widely spread weapon and the gunsmith just wanted to get rid of the load he bought from a security company.

Now take a Sig 210.
    A very fine pistol, and very precise.
    Not to be bought very often unter 1000,- Euro.
    Since this pistol is not produced anymore.

Take a Sig-Sauer 226 or 228 or even a 220. These are also not so cheap on the used market, but not extremely expencive either. Somewhere in the mid range.

I also found it depends on the time of the year.
    If you want to sell a gun, and you are trying it at the wron time of the year, you could end um making a big loss.
    Choose the correct time and you could get a very good price on it.
    Same of course when buying a used firearm.
    You can end up paying too much, but you can also get a real bargain, if you are patient and watch the market.

Here in germany, we also have the market of shortly deceased gun owners. I know this sounds really cruel and impious, but according to the german gunlaw, the legal heirs if they are no gun owners, have to sell or get rid of the weapons within 4 Weeks.
    Therefor every now and then you get real bargains there.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+ 1 shooter!

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Firearms are tools. Most are quality tools for a specific task. Some are best described as works of art. The craftsmanship that goes into them is much admired. Think of them like a Rolex. Specimens from the 50's and 60's sell for more than their original retail price.

11. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

The current anti-gun administration has a lot to do with prices because of demand from the public for the right to bear arms. I bought my last gun almost two years ago durring the middle of Bush's last term. It was a used officer's size Colt 1911 in like new condition but they just couldn't sell it at my local gunshop because people were only interested in more modern plastic guns. They were only asking $399 for it and it sat in the display case for at least a month or more. Finaly I couldn't take it and snatched it up, turned out to be just what I needed, a great lil' gun.
    Recently I was looking around at current gun prices and this gun that they couldn't give away two years ago is now averaging over $600 for heavily used examples.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yesterday I looked at a used S&W 25-5 (.45 Colt), 4" blue, some holster wear and end shake cylinder....$625!!!!!
    That's just crazy talk!

The shop also had a pretty, 4" M-28 for $425. More common model, but they were going for $200-250 three years ago. Maybe we all needed to forget the 401K's and get .357K's. We would be better off now.

13. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

I don't see what the problem is, I just purchased a Sig P229 40 S&W for $292.17. It works perfect and looks like new.

14. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I have never lost money on a firearm of any type. There is a buyer for every gun no matter what brand or condition it may be in. I found a Russian 44 in a sand pit and it was totally rusted up. I sold it for 75.00... There is no way that revolver was going to shoot again, but my guess is it was put in a collection of some sort.

15. WDB

WDB New Member

I expect the flood of lesser quality pistols make those that are well made worth at times even more than the newer versions. Even more in the new gun control policy the pistols with generous mag cap have gone up in value as there is a fear they might be hard to get in the near future.