used bulletproof vest ?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by eltoro, Dec 7, 2012.

1. eltoro

eltoro New Member

I am opening a pawn shop and would like to wear a vest dealing with many fine upstanding inner city folks ;) does anyone have a idea where I can get a deal on a used vest ? I looked around but nothing really worth jumping on. And the ones I did see had nasty reviews like the vests were wore out and nasty.

Thanks

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

You also need to find out what level vest you think you might need.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Used body armor is a bit like buying a second hand condom.

You don't know where that thing has been.

Seriously, excercise caution- soft body armor has a "replace by" date. Understand that NOTHING is bullet PROOF, and there are different levels of protection.

Buy what you need, and take it off taxes as a business expense. Seriously.

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Lol ever see a .50 bmg round hit 5" of bullet proof glass? It's a hell of a sight.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I've seen 30mm rounds from a GAU-8 go thru both sides of a t-72 tank. Now THAT was impressive!

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

That must be the tank gun everyone talks about. Lol
    I've seen a 30-06 go through 3 1" sheets of BP glass. I know it's not much but it's not bad for your everyday deer rifle.

7. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Shot a deer with a 30-06 this season. I'm using a .308 next year. 3006 wasted waay too much meat.

8. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I would never buy used armor. My life is worth more than used equip.

9. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Ok skip used idea. SO where do you think I can get a good price on new armor ? So a new level 3 should be fine ?

And seriously guys the moron stick up idiots in this city I doubt will have 50bmg or even understand a lever action 30-06.

But yes the idiots could have a ak-47 but now i'm looking at more of the idea that the moron thugs would walk in with a .38, 9mm, 380, 22, 25, 32, or at most 45.

10. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I lugged a WW2 vintage M3 blowback greasegun for a few weeks in Vietnam along with my M-16. I got it from one of my ARVNs. Just for kicks one day I set a flak jacket up on a paddy dike and shot a burst of 45 ACP at it...and that ol flak jacket stopped those bullets, I dug them out of the lining. I decided right then I didn't need to drag that M3 around any more.

11. bonney

bonney New Member

Why did you bother with that heavy old, short ranged clunker in the first place? And were the VC wearing flak jackets? :)

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I think I can answer both of those! He carried it cause thats what he was issued and the VC only had the vests they took off dead GI's but very few were actual Commie issue.

The grease gun was a great tanker gun, mostly for putting heads down. If youve ever come out of a hatch in the defensive mode, you might find it a real friendly item to have, much better than a Pistol and a longarm was useless. It was still being used regularly in the early 80's because like the A10 thunderbolt, nothing to that point came close to being effective at doing what it did best, spray and pray!

As far as used PPE, I wouldnt be a fan, bite the bullet and buy new. Additionally, it wouldnt be a bad Idea to build a Bullet resistant glass cash register area, just in case. The life you save might be your own!

13. Donn

Donn Active Member

When I was deployed, some of the old timers carried Grease Guns and Thompson SMG's because the old, slow .45acp would cut down the underbrush Mr. Charles hid behind. The .223 would go right thru it.
    To your question. You'd better check local laws regarding civilians and body armor. It's a no-no in some places. If you do get one and you might face an AK, get a vest with the ballistic insert. Most body armor's useless against steel core ammo.

14. Gm49007

Gm49007 New Member

I have an extra lvl III vest; it is coyote in color with webbing if anyone is interested just send me a pm.

15. bonney

bonney New Member

kevlar is worthless against ANY hi v rifle ammo. 30-30 softpoints go right thru it. so no ball ammo, much less steel core ammo, is needed to defeat it. in fact, 30 carbine ball pierces it, at ranges under 50 yds, if it is the full charge, 1900 fps stuff. I have heard that some 30C ammo is wussied down to 1600 fps these days.