used ar-15 $850 good deal?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by everclear151, Feb 12, 2011.

1. everclear151

everclear151 New Member

I'm new to ar-15 and I don't know too much about them but someone I know wants to sell an ar-15 with 20 inch chrome barrel and only 20-30 rounds have been through it. He built it himself and said he put over $1000 into it and asking $850 for it. Is this a good deal?

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx108/allforgotten1/DSCN0961.jpg

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Not until after he and I have taken it to a gunsmith and the range in that order.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

A little more info would be helpful.

4. everclear151

everclear151 New Member

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

+1 on that

6. everclear151

everclear151 New Member

7. everclear151

everclear151 New Member

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

For $850, you can buy a pretty decent new entry level AR or you can build one if you are so inclined. Maybe I'm just old and mean, but I would not trust someone else's gun building skills. Not when there are good alternatives.

YMMV

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can get a new top shelf AR for $850.

I see that the upper reciever is a BCM. Was the upper assembled by BCM and he just put together the lower? Either way you can have a complete upper and lower built by BCM for $850.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You wouldn't trust one of my AR's CA?? That hurts bro. Right to the bone I tell you, right to the bone with that cut. :(

Ah well, screw your old Kalifornia Restricted ass, I build REAL AR's. :D

JD

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

How well do you know this guy? If he built a gun an only put a few rounds thru it that just SCREAMS there is something wrong with it. Now if you if you've know the guy for years and he's a stand up guy then it sounds decent but anything outside of your buddy losing his job or his kid broke his arm I would get it checked out.

12. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

13. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I am still beating myself for not picking a flat Bushmaster at Sportsman's Warehouse during the holidays sale. Price was normally $799 or $900 and lowered to $599. It had a red dot only, not front or rear sites, bascially optics ready. :(

Found a pic

[​IMG]

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Aw shucks JD, I'd buy one you built. Now you've made me feel all sad. Are you sad too?

:D

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

What type/brand of BCG, barrel specs, what rail, things like that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

First thing you have to ask him is WHY? it is a simple question, and tells a lot. That is a clone of the current USMC issue M16. It is a great rifle and he did a good job on it, but how does it shoot? Take it to the range and shoot it. IF ya like it get it. It does seem like a borderline price for a new one, and it is a little high for a built gun, but find out as much about it as you can.

For what it is worth.... I would get it for myself depending what the Lower is.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

It kinda looks like an Armalite lower.

18. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

I blew it up a bit, and ya it certianly looks like the Armalite logo. I still think its a cool gun. I guess I would get it. But it isnt my money.

Still would like to know why he is selling it.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I still think he could get a new BCM for the same $.

20. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Absolutely. However if it shoots well, why not? I have overspent on a firearm just because of the instant satisfaction. Not to mention it is a friend of his and if the reason he is selling is due to economy why not slip him some extra?

But it does seem to be worth the money. If ya look around at shops there is not many of the a4 clones out there yet, and it is in the price range of a new piece. 20 rounds through it is about 10 more than we run through the M&P ars at Smith.