Used .22lr brass use

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vincine, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Sometimes I need to shovel a path through the spent cases to get the backstop. Would there be any point in shipping the used .22lr cases & little plastic trays back to the factory? Could they toss the brass back into the smelter and the trays back into the packaging line? It seems like an awful lot of material & energy spent to fabricate an item for a onetime use.

Somebody already sent me a Corbin link to using them to make bullet jackets for centerfire calibers (Thanks). But making jackets one by one seems just as time consuming and labor intensive as building a miniature Statue of Liberty with them. (And besides, who needs two?).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Most ranges sell non reloadable brass for scrap. Not much you can realistically do with them.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I'm using mine to build a reproduction of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Full sized.

Seriously, scrap. About a buck fifty a pound for clean yellow brass.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I pick up all I can find, Brass is a $1.30 a lb. at my recyclers.............I take in a 5 gal. bucket full every so often, right at a $100.00 bucks give or take a few dollars.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I trade old, unservicable brass for wheel weight lead at the recycler. Volume for volume, about an even trade.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

what they said. scrap it and get more money for ammo or guns

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Miniature beer can art perhaps? Leeeeetle tiny biplane and such...

8. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Or...
    A company named 'Corbin' sells equipment to use .22 RF brass as jackets for swaged bullets.

I'm a tad on the too lazy side myself, but it looks like it could be fun.
    ' http://www.corbins.com/ '

I don't shoot very many .22 RFs, but it is a though. Or sell the brass.

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I read of a guy on a Reloading forum that stuffs heavy socks with them and uses them for a shooting bag/rest. Said they work really well. I havent bothered to pick up any and try it.

10. dgang

dgang New Member

bullets from .22 LR cases

New an old timer who fashioned 50 gr. bullets for his .22 rifles from spent . LR cases. Worked great if velocity was held to a moderate level. dgang

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Do you mean he made brass bullets? And are you talking for 22-250, .222, .223. Stuff like that? If so, how did he do it?

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

for many many years they(reloaders) have been using spent 22 cases for jackets on 22 bullets. It is nothing new. Started over 50 years ago.

13. dgang

dgang New Member

rick1976: He used the cases for jackets into which he swaged lead wire. From what I know he shot a .22 bee, .222, 220 swift. Might be others.

14. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

You can get the corbin dies to make 22 cal bullets. Don't expect Berger or SMK level of accuracy from them though. If you wanted to make a bunch of range fodder bullets to let the kids burn through an AR then it might be worth while.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I bet all those empties could be easily pounded into some nice shiny armor for my cat.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Thats the greatest idea ive heard. Hope to see updated pictures of finished suit when done.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

It might take a while; the cat goes a good 20 to 24 pounds, XXL in kitteh.

18. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Seeing an armored cat in my neighborhood would be just to much of a challenge to pass up. Now to find those CCI armor piercing rounds I had :p

Badshot

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

If they are Brass casings sell them to a scrap company. Brass is worth $$$$$.
    They would do the manufacturer no good.

20. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Trying to picture a big fat orange cat covered in brass. Had to LOL at that one. Keep seeing The Golden Compass with Garfield instead of a polar bear.