use WHAT 22 ammo in WHICH gun....?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by hawkguy, Aug 4, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

went to the range today....:)

took the 10/22. maybe it is just me, but i feel my 22 semi autos are the most ammo particular when it comes to reliability. many i talk to feel the same...."oh, THIS gun shoots only THIS bulk ammo well, but NOT THIS OTHER bulk ammo..."

it may be gun to gun, but it may be according to model as well. :confused:

maybe someone has done this as a thread before, but i thought maybe we could help each other and new gun owners if we collected and shared a bit of info related to this.

so....WHAT ammo works well in WHICH gun for you? WHAT ammo does not work in WHICH gun for you?

2. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

It varies from rifle to rifle. :) Cliff

3. hawkguy

well, i'll start with a gripe! i picked up some american eagle 38 grain 22 (high v, copper pl. HP) in some 40 round boxes (these days you buy what you find, right?). these rounds cycled very poorly through my 10/22, causing an FTF about once every twenty shots. maybe cause their H.V.? :confused: either way...a waste of $$$ for my 10/22, and i won't be buying more.

probably no surprise, but all cci mini mags runs like a dream through my 10/22. i also got some standard 40g lead nose cci target and they ran like a dream.

i'll be reporting on federal automatch 40 gr (round lead i think) 325 bulk pack next. i'll also report on the most reliable ammo for my 22/45 pistol as well.

4. hawkguy

probably so. but don't you think it might be similar model to model?

i dunno...might be interesting to see what is discovered?

5. davva360

davva360 New Member

I shoot Remington bulk ammo mainly through my marlin model 60. Have not had a misfire in the 18 months I had the gun. Also shot some Federal and CCi without any issues.

Over 2000 rounds without a hitch so I haven't found anything the gun doesn't like yet.

6. hawkguy

my ruger 22/45 seems to eat up most bulk with no issues, but my 10/22 is shaping up to be a bit more temperamental.

still...i'm really going to try and pay attention from now on....brand, type, grain, etc....the goal being to the find the best combo of cheap and reliable.

many guns rely on different designs and systems, maybe they have preferences in general? be good to see many different models and ammo and see if there is any connection to be made...:confused:

7. QueenGlamis

QueenGlamis New Member

Our Beretta Neos--eats ANY ammo we put in it. Not a single failure in thousands of rounds, lead nose, the nice stuff, anything. Not fincky at all, some just shoots dirtier than others.

AR22 Mossberg, now this one is picky. the best we have found is the AR Tactical made by CCI. Haven't had a single misfire with it.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Semi autos generally benefit from high velocity 22lr, I would the ammo is the problem not the gun.

I have had great results with Federal 550 round bulk pack ammo in both my Mossberg 715t and my GSG 1911 22lr.

9. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Personally I would stick with .22LR (yours probably is) and a 40 grain bullet. Sometimes hollow point drop to 32 grain. The semi-auto require a certain amount of kick to eject the spent cartridges. Try to stay with 1200+/f/sec also.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I shoot Marlin 60s, and a Nylon 66, I find that for the most part

Winchester, Federal, and Remington bricks all feed fairly

dependably, with the same minimal overall amount of duds, bent

bullets, and minor jam issues, upon occasion.

But the 10/22, and 15/22 guys, with box mags, instead of tubes

mags, may have different issues with different products.

11. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

My 10/22s eat any and all ammo I put thru them. CCI is about my top shelf, but they will shoot the Remington stuff without issue as well. I have a Savage Model 64, on the other hand, that will only shoot high quality ammo. It will FTF/FTE so often that I don't even take it out anymore. It is my most accurate 22 and also my most undependable.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

My Marlin 60 cycles just about any .22lr including CCI and Aguila sub sonic. The only ammo it would not cycle was Winchester Xpert. Dirty as he!! also. Now Winchester Wildcat has been a favorite since I was a kid for cheap ammo. When I finally found a source a few years ago, it did not dissapoint. Aguila makes some VG ammo, similar in many respects to CCI in the way it shoots.

13. longunner

longunner New Member

My marlin 60 won't reliably feed hollow points. I don't know if it's just because they are the Remington bulk pack or just because it won't feed hollow points at all, I've yet to try a different brand. It also won't feed 22 shorts either. It runs great with Remington golden bullets and federal match designed for semi autos.

14. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

hawk,

My 10/22 would worked just fine with high velocity 22LRs, but didn't with target ammo.

I bought another action spring assembly and cut 2 rings of the spring and functioning was fine with the target rounds. Now I just swap out this action spring depending on the ammo.

15. hawkguy

good info, thanks.

16. hawkguy

my 22/45 runs through federal bulk like a dream...haven't had a chance to run it through my 10/22....i bought it less than a month before the "great 22 disappearance of '13"...:mad:

my 10/22 runs smooth on cci (only ammo i have found in the drought). i'll try this federal automatch in both my 22/45 and 10/22 and post results. i'll also run that american eagle crap through my 22/45 and see if it gives it problems.

the american eagle was actually very accurate through my 10/22, tearing ragged holes @ 50 yards w/o real effort. but WAY too many FTF's.

17. hawkguy

oh #$%$#! another thing i forgot to think about was the fact that i recently installed a KIDD cocking assembly in my 10/22....this could have some effect....but then the cci worked like a charm so....:confused:

well, i'll know more if that american eagle gives my 22/45 a hard time.

18. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

What are you guys paying for federal auto match 350 pack?

19. Laduckhunter

Laduckhunter New Member

$14 at walmart

20. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I haven't seen any 22 at Wal-Mart. Ugh...