USAF Helicopter Fired On - Crew Member Injured

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Aug 12, 2020.

1. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, some scumbag fired on a military helicopter, a crewman was slightly injured:

"An Air Force helicopter was forced to make an emergency landing at a Virginia airport Monday after someone shot at it, injuring a member of the crew, local and military officials told McClatchy.

The UH-1N Huey helicopter is assigned to the 1st Helicopter Squadron at Joint Base Andrews. It was flying about 1,000 feet off the ground, about 10 miles northwest of Manassas Regional Airport when the incident occurred, the Air Force said in a statement.

The injured crew member, who was not identified, was treated at a hospital and released."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/air-force-helicopter-shot-ground-151300219.html

dango likes this.
  2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The squadron transports senior military and civilian leaders, along with high ranking dignitaries, and emergency medical evacuations. This could have been a poorly executed hit job, although not likely.

dango likes this.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

At this point, I'd think the best guess is: some self-entitled "cancel culture" type who thought "thumbing" the system and taking pot-shots would be his (?) alternative to rioting at the local Piggly Wiggly.

4. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

That actually happens more often that you would think.

Many moons ago when I was in the USAF,,,
    Not a month would go by that one of the choppers from McClellan AFB would take a hit.

It was usually just some hick taking a pot-shot for fun.

Believe me, the military and FBI were all over those folk,,,
    I do remember reading that one guy who they caught got 20 years in federal pen.

It could just as easily be some drunk redneck as an Antifa terrorist,,,
    But if they catch the shooter they will throw the book at him.

Aarond

dango, Caveman Jim, locutus and 3 others like this.
  5. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Glad nobody was seriously injured or killed.

dango, alsaqr and Mercator like this.
  6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Yes and 20 years is too good for whoever. To me it could be considered attempted murder and against the Government also. Life or Sparky would be better!

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The beginnings of anarchy.

No respect for our country, our LE, our military.

dango and Caveman Jim like this.
  8. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Pot patch, meth lab, or still can draw fire in some places. Had a trooper pilot wounded by a bank robber. Robber died. Another dudhead got to shooting at a crop duster. Did some time for that one. Some truly believe the "Black Helicopter" conspiracy stuff and (of course) "The Conservation" is stocking rattlesnakes by dropping them in cloth sacks. Idiots will shoot stuff.It's what they do. 1,000 feet flyover will freakout some, for sure.

9. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

That's just what I was thinking because they use choppers to spot pot growing in fields.
    If someone was in tending one of those fields & saw them make a turn as they flew over they would think they were spotted.

dango likes this.
  10. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Well, except this was in a pretty much metro area (Manassass). And as a White House Support Aircraft (painted blue/white), it was obviously not anything but.

Were this out in the sticks, I might buy the pot-grower theory. But not in this case.

Will let the FBI case play out. Too early to tell, but the pot-grower aspect isn't one I'd hang onto.

dango, locutus and alsaqr like this.
  11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

So the Huey is still flying!!! KOOL:cool: Mine was the H model. :) Our normal flight level was 2000 AGL and we would take several hits a week at that level during normal flight.

dango and sheriffjohn like this.
  12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Huey still gets a lot of use. It and the civilian brother are the mainstay of the Forest Services Heli-Rappel program. It is the standard, “medium” helicopter.

dango, RJF22553 and JimRau like this.