US supplied weapons to Mexico?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Anonymous_Coward, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Anonymous_Coward

Anonymous_Coward New Member

Hello all, I'm a newbie, and basically registered to ask a question that someone here may be able to answer. I've been trying to keep up with the news of the violence in Mexico (mostly because that's where I live), and I've noticed in documentaries and different news forums that they keep saying that the majority of weapons come from the US. I don't know if they are referring to legitimate imports, but the implication is that the narcos are all using US arms. I happen to know that the most common weapon used by the narcos is the AK-47 (called "cuerno de chivo"), and was wondering if they are even manufactured in the US. Does anybody know?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

The AK-47 is the single most mass produced firearm in the history of man. Why would anyone risk smuggling them across the US border when the Commies in South America are literally giving them away. What you read is BS designed to bolster the anti-gun zealots here in the US.

The unregulated sale of fully automatic weapons has been banned in the US for decades, your average drug cartel smuggler cannot just walk into Bubba's Gun Shop and order up a batch of fully auto AKs as the stories imply.

3. Anonymous_Coward

I know they are common, given the fact that they are reliable and fairly cheap. I didn't realize they were #1. I gather then that they are manufactured in the US. How hard are they to obtain?

Trust me, the people who take them into Mexico wouldn't be worried about any risk, at least with the Mexican authorities.

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Amen brother. The liberal media wants the general public to believe that Average Joe American is buying up all the guns at Wal Mart or the local gun shop and smuggling them to Mexico. Because it's America's gun laws (or apparently lack there of) that are causing violence in Mexico, not the multi-billion dollar drug trade... :confused:

6. Anonymous_Coward

Thank you, Gojubrian! That's exactly the information I was looking for.

One of the documentaries I saw from the BBC, was actually not too bad in some ways, but they went from reporting on the situation in Ciudad Juarez (1500 murdered last year, and just today some US State Dept employees and their families) to a gun show in El Paso. All of a sudden I was wondering WTF!? They made it sound like the Mexican Mafia was buying it's AKs at gun shows. Then they interviewed some bureaucrat from ATF who mentioned the statistic about the majority of weapons being bought in the US. Since then, I've seen the "statistic" pop up again. Thanks for clearing it up.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. Angrypoonani

Angrypoonani New Member

America has supplied weapons to many many countries and then taught them how to shoot them. Kinda sux we are so nice cuz it always bites us in the ***.

D:

8. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Exactly. The guns are being supplied by the US government to another government and either stolen or re-routed. They are certainly not being purchased at retail and sold in Mexico.

Gotta love the anti-gun media spinning it their way.

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Select fire AK-47 aren't made here in the US. They are military weapons originally made in the USSR. Widely adopted and also manufactured at one time by communist countries such as USSR, China, Bulgaria, Romania
    A full list and history can be found here--------->AK-47 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't believe what an ATF bureaucrat says any more than any other government bureaucrat. AK's are cheap, reliable and plentiful. The Chinese are still making AK's for export. 20 years ago, you could buy a full auto AK with 3 mags, cleaning kit, bayonet and 100 rds of ammo via the black market in the Los Angeles area for $350. They are imported illegally, sold illegally and kept/used illegally. The porous nature of the deep water ports in the US makes it fairly easy to smuggle large numbers of such guns.

The Mexican ports are even more porous. A few hundred $ pays a customs official to look the other way while an entire shipping container filled with thousands of AK's are off loaded and delivered to a cartel.

There are more full auto firearms supplied to the cartels by the US government than all the straw purchases or gun shows combined. The US gives/sells M-16s and other military weapons to the Mexican Government. They in turn issue them to their soldiers who defect in droves to the cartels and take their US made weapons with them.

I believe there is a US maker of full auto AK's. They are filling contracts to re-arm/upgrade Iraqi and Afghan military and police. Their production is strictly monitored and assured to actually leave the US.

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

That whole issue has been pretty well debunked. You are the victim of biased reporting disguised as journalism.

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Most, if not all of the legal AK's coming into the United States have been rebuilt for American usage in the semi-automatic world of 1 pull and 1 shot. Example below from JG Sales:

This firearm was assembled by Century Arms International using both new US made parts and original used surplus parts. May or may not include cleaning rod.

Bulgarian AK-74 NDS-2 Rifle, 5.45x39 Caliber, By CAI.

I would love to have an AK47; however, the SS in the house has instructed American and/or Western European only! The dog house is a little cold at night!

13. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

How much of this thread is going to be taken out of context in the New York Times?

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

For their use? LOL, ALL of it.