US government sells WW2 rifles

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by downsouth, Sep 2, 2012.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For the best info, go to their website- http://odcmp.com/sales.htm

The CMP is govt affiliated. You must meet the elibibility criteria. Only rifle for standard sale is the M1 Garand- others are sold out, or auction only. Least expensive looks like $525 plus shipping. It USED to be one per lifetime, but no longer true.

READ the definition of grades. Rifle will meet or exceed those standards. Send paperwork, payment, and when you pass background check, rifle is shipped directly to you.

3. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That's aboit half price for a shooting garand isn't it?

4. c3shooter

Price depends on quality, but that is less than I see most Garands go for. The lower grades are shooters, higher grades are collectors. All will have been through a tech inspection, have worn parts replaced, etc.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.... It could be a Korean era one! :p

I really wish the CMP carried the M1 I want.... Im gonna have to pay the "sucker" price for one.. :(

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. fmj

fmj New Member

Have always wanted a Garand in my safe. I am seriously thinking about doing a road trip over to Camp Perry. After looking over the paper work i see at the bottom it says "i certify that i am a member of a CMP affiliate gun club and to have proof of such.

So if I am not a member of a gun club thats an affiliate i cannot buy one? Is this a correct assumption?

7. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I thought your medusa shot everything you ever wanted? :p

8. JWagner

JWagner New Member

fmj: there are a couple ways to qualify for the CMP purchase. One is joing a local gun club that is on their good guys list or join the Garand Collectors Association ($25/year) and have them put you on their list of qualified people. You will additionally need to send CMP proof of citizenship before they will sell guns or ammo to you. The GCA puts out a magazine a few times a year which is pretty good. I took the second route but have not bought anything from them yet. I have been patiently hitting the gun shows and pawn shops and now have 4 of them. I have never paid more than $650 for any of them and one came with all the CMP documentation.

9. fmj

fmj New Member

Hmmm, may have to join the GCA. None of the "local" ranges are on the list. Plenty of high schools with shooting teams, but i doubt i qualify there. I am waiting to hear back from the gun club my family was a major part of when i was a kid. I was in contact with a guy that said i may qualify due to my former experience shooting DCM competition in my youth.

If i can get the paper work issues out i will take a trip over to camp perry...maybe 4 hour drive and pick my own.

10. fmj

fmj New Member

**edit**

after going over the website a couple more times. It emphasizes time and again that you MUST be a member of an affiliated club. You also have to have proof of some sort of organized shooting activity.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Well, I just found out that I qualify for most of the criteria :D. The only thing I don't have yet is proof of safe firearm handling. I plan on getting a C&R next year anyway, so I think I'm going to try to get one of those M1 Garands when I have the funds. Any ideas on what grade I should get? I like a pretty gun, but not enough to pay a LOT more for it. It doesn't have to be all matching either (not a collector, a shooter :D). I basically want one that is good. solid, and accurate.

12. c3shooter

Re; Afiliated club and shooting activity- check with your STATE rifle association- many have some shoots scheduled to help folks meet the CMP criteria.

If you are a VETERAN- you have met those criteria. If you are a commissioned officer, you also just met the proof of citizenship (to be commissioned, you must be a US citizen)

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There is some contact info at the bottom of the page where you can find out what you want to know from the horse's mouth.

I have one that was purchased through CMP. It is a fine rifle and shoots like a dream. My son took his first deer with it. I have not taken the steps to become qualified but I always have wanted to. Some day I will have the time.

14. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

You can actually get a brand new Springfield Armory M1 Garrand through CMP. They run about $1500.

15. Orlando

Orlando New Member

Its very simple to qualify, most people make it much harder than it actually is
    http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/eligibility.htm

If you need club mmembership the cheapest is the M1 Collectors Club is $14 for a full years membership

16. superc

superc Member

I just wish they had M-1 Carbines.

17. fmj

fmj New Member

+1 to that or 03-A3's

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I just want a IH Garand... :( :(

19. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I'd love one too. My Daddy worked ther for fourty years.

20. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Another way to get your hands on one is go to their store.. You can then hand pick from the guns they have on the racks... If you know someone who already qualifies, have them purchase one for you. You don't have to be a dealer or licensed collector since CMP ships directly to your house via UPS regardless. Check out this video posted this year from CMP. BTW, I purchased a FG HR Garand a couple years back and it's super. Barrel's in great shape and very nice walnut furniture so don't shy away from the lower grade rifles, they do inspect each one before it gets sold to John Q Public.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiSz-IkMxi4[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012