Upper/Lower reciever question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jhog, Jan 17, 2011.

1. jhog

jhog New Member

I need a little help, I am planning on building an AR. Would it make difference to use a miss matched upper/lower or a matched set such as Wilson Combat.

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Nothing that will effect the performance of the rifle.

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I plan on a Spikes Tactical lower and DPMS upper. I don't foresee any issues.

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

You shouldn't have any issues that an Accuwedge wouldn't fix.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Have you had any trouble w/ one coming apart and getting all over the inside of your lower?

6. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

accuwedge?

7. jhog

jhog New Member

I've seen the acuwedge and I'm pretty sure they go somewere between the upper and lower but don't know how the work. Do they stay put when you install them?

8. jhog

jhog New Member

What does that mean? I do not understand your question.

9. jhog

jhog New Member

Any particular reason for your choices?

10. Squirrel_Slayer

They sit behind the rear take down pin and once they are installed, they don't move.

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Price! Plus I am not sure whether I want to buy a complete upper or build one.:D

This, of course; will be after I get the Model 27 or Model 28 Patrolman .357

12. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

The colt ARs use a larger pin size so you can not mix match Colt parts. Other then that your OK. I built a lower on a Spikes receiver then put a Stag 6.8mm upper on it.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can if you have an offset front take down pin if your colt has the larger front pin. i used one when i was using my sp1 lower for my 45acp upper :)

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Recent Colts should have standard pin holes, what a mess that was!

Otherwise most uppers and lowers will function together. Fit and finish might be a slight issue.

15. jhog

jhog New Member

OK, I think that I will start a new thread shortly explaining just what my intensions are but first, I need to do a little more reaserch then I will explain my idea of a perfect or almost perfect AR build.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The guys have pretty much got you covered.

Old Colts used a larger size pin set ( like .250" or close to it), while the rest of the industry went with a more standard .154"

Today's receivers, if made here in the US and are not made by Cleetus' Tire Shop and AR Outlet, are all pretty much standard and go together without much trouble.

If you have a little rattle between the upper and lower, there are two products that help that issue. One is the Accu-Wedge, which I believe in as a very cheap (around $3.00) fix if people would just take the time to inspect it when they clean their weapon and see if it shows sign of wear. Being made of rubberized/plastic, it can see wear and tear from multiple takedowns and 1,000's of rounds, but I have never seen one fail personally.

The other is a Take Down pin that Brownell's sells that does the same thing, but it's more expensive. It's also more of a permanent solution. I don't have the model number, but Google Accu-Wedge and there will be a link to this pin that is supposedly "light years' ahead of it. I have never personally used it.

I have AR's with Olympic lowers, one DPMS lower and uppers from DPMS, some name that escapes me but is a lower end brand, and a new LaRue Stealth. I have ZERO issues with match up and all my uppers will mate with my lowers without issue.

As long as you go with a known commodity, I think you will be fine. The lower is merely a housing for the FCG and is not really going to affect your ultimate accuracy. That is all on the upper, which is the more crucial of the build process.

JD

17. jhog

jhog New Member

Thanx, that helped alot. Now for one final question. I can't seem to find a good upper and lower parts kit. Can anyone give me good info on this?

18. Squirrel_Slayer

Do your research online. There are plenty of vendors that sell complete uppers in whatever flavbor you want. You need to make a decision on what you are going to do with the rifle first. Parts kits can be bought or ordered through your local gun shop.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good Uppers:

BCM
    Daniel Defence
    Noveske
    Colt
    Spikes
    Knights Armament
    LMT
    LWRC

20. Squirrel_Slayer

I've had good luck with Doublestars so far.