Upper lower mixed

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Joedavid, May 16, 2016.

1. Joedavid

Joedavid New Member

Hello all. New member of course to asdk such a question (questions)
    I just bought a used AR. XM15 E2S bushmaster lower, and a S&W upper. On the lft side of the lower it says DFI Windham, ME. USA.
    The only markings on the upper is S&W on the top rail and barrel is stamped 5.65 NATO 1/9. The stock has the S&W logo. No other markings except serial # and the snake with upper and lower fangs.
    What have I got,,,quality wise?
    Why would the upper be changed out?
    Why is there no serial # on barrel?
    How old is it?
    Any information or discussion is appreciated. I realize this is not a choice, top tier tool, but I'd would like to know more about it.
    I carried a m4 bushmaster in Baghdad so not totally lost here.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There are some AR fanatics here that can answer most of your questions. I'll try to start-

I think your rifle is marked BFI, not DFI. For Bushmaster Firearms, Inc. Age? They moved out of Windham ME in 2011.

No serial number on barrel? None of mine have a SN on barrel. The LOWER is the firearm. The upper is parts.

And where ARE my manners? That was your first post! Welcome to the forum- and welcome home, brother. When you have a minute, stop by the introductions thread and say hello. And some of the Black Rifle fanatics will be along shortly.

CouveShooter likes this.

3. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Somebody probably bought the lower first and then chose an upper that they liked. As for the serial number the only part of the gun that will have one is the lower receiver

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Serial numbers are assigned to the lower. Rarely, a manufacturer will apply a serial number to an upper. But it is not required by law.

Uppers are easy to build and are frequently sold as kits, or complete assemblies. It is not uncommon to have them not match the lower. I have three different uppers, and one lower that I use them on.

The barrel stamping identifies it as having a NATO 556 chamber, and a 1 in 9 twist rate. This should be able to stabilize bullets weighing up to 65, or 70-grains, and still stabilize 55-grain bullets.

windjammer69 likes this.
  5. Joedavid

Joedavid New Member

Wow. Answers were quick. Thanks men. About the dfi-bfi, yeah eyes aren't what they used to be.
    I just found the forum app. I look forward to spending time here.

Shopfox likes this.
  6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

Take your rifle out and see how it performs, there is a reason why quality parts from various manufacturers can still produce a quality final product. Only firing will answer your questions, welcome, lots of neat things happen here.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Joe the term in the industry for a parts gun is jokingly a Frankenstein Gun. But the bottom line is if all the parts work flawlessly in conjunction with each other it is a GOOD RIFLE!. As far as a serial number on the barrel is it a serial number or a barrel identification code. Rock River and Wilson Barrel Company use 6 or 7 digit code on some of their barrels to tell what twist it is. If yours says 1:9 Twist with an actual serial number it was probably intended for some LE or other contract purchase prior to being sold in the commercial market. Nothing wrong with the quality of the components that are in yours. Bushmaster was purchased by the Freedom Group who also purchased Remington, DPMS, Marlin and an assortment of other weapon manufacturers and parts and moved Bushmaster to Ilion NY. The Bushmaster name continued with them and then the guy that originally owned Bushmaster at Windham, ME. Started back up under the name of Windham Weaponry. Granted a pieces part gun will not bring the resell value of the total built name brand rifle. But who cares if you are planning on using it keeping it and enjoying it and not buying it with the intended purpose of selling or trading for top dollar later. SO Enjoy that new piece!
    How about pictures and a range report when you get a chance!:)

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The rifle should be fine but inspect it closely before you shoot it. Inspect the major components like the BCG, trigger group, buffer, barrel and receivers which should give you an idea of the quality of the parts used in the build.

You could call Bushmaster and inquire about the serial #. They should be able to tell you how the rifle was configured when it left the factory. Or they could tell you if the lower was sold as a stripped lower.

Edit: And they could tell you the date it was manufactured

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  9. Joedavid

Joedavid New Member

Here's a few pictures.

AR1.jpg

AR2.jpg

AR3.jpg

AR4.jpg

CloverLeaf likes this.
  10. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Welcome to the civilian side of BRD.

Well, at least you know the lower receiver is Bushmaster. What's inside for LPK is not necessarily Bushmaster---but could be, if you can decipher the markings.

The upper receiver is by S&W, but again, maybe not the rest of parts. Don't know if S&W made a 1/9 barrel twist, but maybe they did on their cheapest Sport model, but what makes me think differently about the upper is the gas block being something that looks like it came from the DPMS Oracle and is their aluminum rail block. Maybe someone can give better info as to whether S&W had an upper like this.

Have you determined whether the BCG is Semi or F/A by it's design?

Also, is the barrel/chamber chrome lined or non-C/L? I bet it's non.

11. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Like Sniper said, probably a Frankengun. That said, all of My AR's are Frankenguns, and function flawlessly. Do a safety inspection, buy some ammo and take It shooting. You may just have the AR that suits you perfect.i

12. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Its a great looking rifle. Get ya a case of ammo and have a blast.

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

On the upside, looks like whomever built your rifle decided to go with better quality brands. If it passed the function check, I would take a few mags of ammo and go shooting with it. IMHO, you have a good AR, even though it may not bring top dollar resale.

14. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

S& W marks their barrels in the same manner as shown, if it was chrome lined it would be indicated with the other markings however Smith uses a melonite treatment on many of their line and that would not be indicated. S&W also marks their upper receiver in one of the rail notches. I see no other way to tell the upper is S& W.

15. Joedavid

Joedavid New Member

Yes. Forgot the upper rail. Thanks all for reply. On vacation and still haven't shot it yet. Did get couple hundred rounds tho.

Attached Files:

16. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

You obviously have a S&W upper and barrel but not the Sport as your rifle shows a m4 profile barrel which the Sport does not use as well as a dust cover not used by the Sport untill recently. Looks to me like you have the foundation for a nice rifle that should give many thousands of rounds of fun.

17. Joedavid

Joedavid New Member

Sorry guys. I got really busy, as a volunteer with disaster relief and been working floods and tornado damage in Louisiana, Texas, Florida etc. Just got a chance to get back on here. Since last post I have fired 400-500 rounds flawlessly thru the AR. Sighted in the tactical optics and zeroed for 100yds. Shoots really tight groups with most holes touching. Ran a few mags thru as fast as I could and no jams. Very Pleased! Not crazy about the cheap optics I bought but will replace when I have more insight on choices.
    Hoping to do some hog hunting with it after deer season. Got too many on the lease.
    Thanks again for all the insight and encouragement you've all provided. I really appreciate you all.

SRK97, MisterMcCool and CloverLeaf like this.
  18. CloverLeaf

CloverLeaf Member

Welcome home. And Thank You! Mine are all pieced togather

Joedavid likes this.
  19. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Active Member

Likewise, thanks for being there to help ! Our AR's are also pieced together depending on parts on sale at the time. No problems with any of the four - two have Giessle (sp) triggers which definitely help me shrink groups. There are some bargains out there, for sure.

Joedavid likes this.
  20. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

One man’s Frankengun is another man’s rifle. A heap of companies sell complete uppers for folks who already have lowers. Some have one lower and use different uppers for different calibers. They call them “dedicated uppers.”

Joedavid likes this.