Upper build questions?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by cpttango30, Oct 17, 2010.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok So I am wanting to try building an upper.

I just want one that will chew up blasting fodder doesn't have to look great.

Now to the questions.

1. On the 16" barrel I thought 18" was the shortest barrel you could have? Cause I don't want one of them stupid looking bloop tubes on the front maybe just a std M-16a2 type.

2. For a range fodder gun would you go with 16 or 18"?

3. what tools am I going to need to purchas?

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

18" is a shotgun barrel. A rifle may have a barrel of 16" and be legal as long as the overall length of the firearm is 26".

Build a 16" and blast away !:)

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

18" is the minimum for shotgun barrels and an overal length of 16" for a rifle barrel. You can have a 12.5" barrel w/ a permenantly attached flash hider measuring 3.5". As long as the overall length of the barrel is 16" or greater you dont need to mess w/ all the paperwork.

"one of them stupid looking bloop tubes" - please explain

4. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

Tango-
    I'd go with a 16". You're not losing anything between that and an 18".

If you're starting with a barrel with extension installed, a stripped upper and a box of parts, the only tools (other than a poundy thingy, which I know you have) you would need are a barrel nut wrench and a set of roll pin punches for the forward assist retaining pin and gas tube retaining pin. Though if you're careful you can do it with a drift punch.

Good luck.

5. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

What made you decide on a heavy barrel, just out of curiosity?

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Because if it won't shoot bug holes, Tango want's no part of it.... ;)

AHEM..... Bloop tube:
    A piece of pipe that clamps to the barrel to allow you to move your front sight forward, in order to increase your sight radius. :)

[​IMG]

p.s.
    Tango, you linked to an un-threaded bull barrel. Why the flash hider? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

oops I forgot that it was unthreaded. I was looking a a few different barrels. all the threaded ones had the stupid triangle front sight and not what I wanted. I think I may just get a 16" and put the low profile picatinny gas block on it.

As far as the bloop tube what do you call the stupid looking thing I posted.

I am wanting to just get a cheaper upper for blasting at dirt clods with my kids and save the nice accurate one for ground hogs and long range zombie plinking.

What are a decent set if flip up sights with wouldn't break the bank? I was thinking a red dot but I think one needs to be open sights.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Ok, It dawned on afterward you were looking to make legal barrel length - but you're good to go with a 16. The Noveske is an over-sized flash suppressor for really short barrels. Black helicopter stuff. :)
    (I could use one for my 10" .223 Contender though.) :eek:

I don't use any of the flip-up sights, so I'll let those that do own them answer that one.... :eek:

As far as tools go, I use an upper receiver holding block for barrel work, but you can get away with a set of barrel blocks that hold the barrel in a bench vice if you are careful not to twist the receiver when torquing it down.
    A barrel nut wrench or strap depending on your forearm type, and some pin punches should just about cover it.

Of course you'll have to post pics of your build ya know.

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Just a little FYI. If you find a good deal on a barrel with a standard FSB already installed. You can always chop the sight tower off and do a little grinding with a dremel tool to make your own lo-pro gas block to fit under a freefloat rail.
    All the fitting work is already done and it keeps the factory taper pins that are a bitch to get out and aren't going anywhere....ever:D
    Thats what I did with my M&P, it was pretty easy.
    [​IMG]

For flip ups, the magpul MBUS polymer's are hard to beat for the price. I use a rear one and its very sturdy. I don't use the flip up front, I like the fixed picatinney mounted tower, but alot of guys run the Magpul polymer front and I haven't heard anything bad, I think Lon has 'em IIRC.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The flaming pig is a decent fh on sbrs. The BattleComp is a great choice for a comp/fh. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in but 1/8 twist might be a better way to go. You cant really go wrong w/ a Spikes upper and lower reciever. Magpul makes a good flip-up sight set. The gen2 MBUSs should be out shortly. As far as tools a good AR multi tool and a set of punches will cove most anything youll come accross. 16" is a good choice or you can do 14.5" w/ perm attached fh. What are you thinking youll do for a handguard ?

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hand guard was a hard choice. I was thinking a free float but shorty regular M4 style would be fine as well....

The spikes is a blemed receiver so I am unsure about that.....

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I don't see any problem with that.

13. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

What are a decent set if flip up sights with wouldn't break the bank? I was thinking a red dot but I think one needs to be open sights.[/QUOTE]

Tango, I'm going to build an upper as well to fit the spikes lower I put together. Here are my thoughts: Go to YANKEE HILL, you should be able to get a 16" barrel for 190$ and they have the FLIP UP FRONT sight that incorporates a GAS BLOCK so you would already have your gas block and flip front.....for 90$ (maybe cheaper elsewhere.) If you buy a railed gas block, I'm thinking that the line of sight might be off...(not for sure though) Secondly, you say you want to go with a red dot but dont want to break the bank......good luck witht that, I haven't had much luck with the chinese knockoffs but that might be due to my limited experience. I bought a nikon 2-7X at wally world for 129$ and you cant go wrong with that. You might need to get a riser though to clear your rear sight.

I like the idea of a flip front gas block sight so that is why I mentioned it and it should be something to consider. $280 should get you over this hurdle. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the BBL's but they do put them on all their rifles...fwiw.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Thats what I am talking about thanks 556.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can do much better then a YHM barrel and a railed gas block. Id stick to the OE front sight, a flip-up rear sight and a Primary Arms micro red dot for an optic if youre not wanting to drop a lot on an Aimpoint or EOTech. Primary makes a great optic that can take abuse.

Barrel:
    Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Barrels - Rainier Arms | Rainier Arms Select 5.56MM Barrel - 16

Hand Guard:
    Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Browse | Hand Guards | Magpul MOE Handguard - Midlength

Optic:
    Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 3)