Upgrading my 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Logan636, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Logan636

Logan636 New Member

I have a stainless steel Springfield Mil-spec 1911 A1. Im very pleased with this model and was just wondering what I could possibly do to make it stand out even more. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What is it about that beautiful pistol you want to change?

Grips are an easy change, other things may require some 'smith work.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

maybe some nice wood grips then let your shot groups speak for ya :)

4. wooleybooger

wooleybooger New Member

cant see your sights very good but if they are mil-spec, i would change em. maybe the hammer. nothing that would really improve the gun just my personal likes.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

How many rounds do you have through it? If you don't have at least 500 rounds though it yet, don't change a thing. With the exception of the grips if you so desire.

Google 1911 grips and your head will spin. :D

6. EMTchad

EMTchad New Member

Ca357 is correct, afterwards, maybe get some night sights, cocobolo wood grips with cross cannon from springfield, skeletal hammer, skeletal 3 hole trigger? :D mine is like that hehe.

7. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

I like the grips you have on it now. ^shrugs^

I would invest in several (3) cases of ammo so you'll need ~$900 for that. :)

8. Wambli

Wambli New Member

My basic requirenments for a carry .45 are a beavertail grip safety (Yes I get hammer bitten) which usually means a commander type hammer too. A flat MSH becaues it fits my hand better. An extended thumb safety because I like resting my thumb on it when I shoot my 1911s, and last but not least a good set of "easy to pick up in poor light" sights which usually means three dots or tritium and they have to be of a "carry against my skin" friendly so no thin bladed adjustables.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

What is the mainspring housing made from on yours? My 2 Kimbers (both about $1000) ended up having a plastic crappy mainspring housing. I plan on changing those to aluminum or steel and my grips to slimline aluminum.

But then, mine already has the trigger, hammer, grip safety, sights, etc.

How about getting a safety lever that's a bit more stout for easier actuation?

10. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Oh CRAP I forgot about those. All my 1911s now wear slim grips. I got them for the Wilson and after I tried them bough sets for the rest of them.

11. 1911newbee

1911newbee New Member

looking good

Hey bud,i am intrested to hear all the replies as i have the exact same gun.(exact).I have about 600 through mine and have not made any mods,and am in love with it.Once again,great looking gun. steven

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shoot the snot out of it and don't change anything until it tells you it needs a change!