Upgrades for an EDC gun

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by TexasBear, Dec 3, 2012.

1. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

I am getting a new glock 19 gen 4 for concealed carry and wanted to know what are some upgrades you do, if any, on an EDC gun.

Trigger work, springs, etc.

I am really thinking of adding an enhanced mag well for a faster reload. Maybe overkill but thought it would be something good to add if it is still concealable.

What are some upgrades you do to your EDC?

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

The 19, while technically a compact, is still what most would consider a full framed gun.

For EDC, the largest factor of concealment...unless you can wear a parka all day, is the height of the grip.

For this reason, I would suggest passing on the enhanced mag well and going for the trigger job...God Knows GLOCKS need it. ;)

Tack

3. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

Well I'm 6'5" an 375lbs. Concealment might b easier if u know that. Plus a g19 still leaves my pinky off the grip. I also have big hands. Haha.

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

+1 on the 1st comment, If its for an edc I wouldn't add anything to a 19 that would bulk up the gun.

5. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

I understand that.

I'm 100% for customization and usually dont leave guns stock for too long. I am Wondering what stuff you might do to your own EDC or maybe even another gun for the house.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Oh...well now the name makes sence! ;)

Sure you could conceal and AR pistol w/30 round mag so why not do it all!

Mag well enhancements typically make reloading faster and in your case, and extra 1/2" of grip length should not really matter.

I'm not personally into GLOCKS but I know they are very customizable with tons of aftermarket parts.

Personally, I think less is more and would do the internals first like springs and trigger. I'd then go for cool factor like changing out anything poly I could for metal components such as the mag release button, trigger, Ect...

Have fun and good luck.

Tack

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I love Wolff. Almost always immediately grab a spring pack, extra stiff, for everything I buy.

8. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

Well don't tempt me on trying to conceal an AR. Not many people would expect that. Matter of fact, I don't think anybody would expect that.

I am thinking about the trigger first but don't know if I want to go light on the trigger since it will be my concealed carry with no safety.

9. phildenton

phildenton New Member

There are several things that can be upgraded; sights, springs, trigger, grips.

for semi autos polish the feed ramp, add light and/or laser, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, silencer (where legal) scope mount and pistol scope.

there are other accessories for glocks, themed type items, like mag base plate, plate for the back of the slide, etc.

with my revolver i went with custom grips and a new set of reduced power springs, made a world of difference.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  10. vincent

vincent New Member

Just my .02 but I wouldn't alter the trigger if it's your EDC...if you're competing with it then yeah but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a custom trigger on my carry gun...especially one with no manual safety...

You can get mag extensions...which are a great big PITA to install...but should give the pinky a comfy home...

Some great sight options available...

Duracoating and refinishing are always popular upgrades and like stated earlier, GLOCKS are highly customizable...

Good luck and hook us up with some pics when you can!!

11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

My revolver is my edc, factory springs are 17# (ruger police service six) and i put wolff 14# trigger & hammer springs. Just enough to smooth it out and let me be a little more accurate. With a glock i would just use after market springs (rarely is a full trigger job necessary), but its your gun so your choice. Just be safe. And you dont have to go overboard.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I agree with those that say it may not be a great idea to modify the trigger too much. Making it more smooth is not so bad but making a Glock trigger easier to pull is sorta defeating the thing that makes it safe to carry with one in the pipe.

BTW for me carrying a larger frame gun is no problem in the winter when I can wear more clothes. I can conceal a full size Sig fairly easy with the right jacket. It makes a big difference in the summer though. But I have big hands and those short grips make Glocks almost unusable for me. That has kept me from buying a Glock for many years. I want something that fits my hand better. IMO the main thing that makes a gun hard to conceal is how thick it is. But there are some double stack .45's that aren't any thicker than most single stack models. And a double stack 9mm can easily be concealed IMO in the winter anyway.

The longer I live the more I see a person needs more than one gun. Maybe I'm just thinking that way because I "want" more guns though. :)

13. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of the heavier springs to the lighter springs? I keep hearing change some of the springs but I am kinda lost on what each does. I've tried looking it up and not much luck.

What spring strength does what and which spring does what?

I know I sound like a noob asking this but I've been around guns all my life and never messed with the springs.

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

TB...upgrading your recoil spring is sorta like upgrading the spark plugs in your car. Enthusiasts will proudly proclaim there added horsepower, cool factor, Ect...

IMHO it's really not necessary unless your shooting + P rated ammo.

Competition shooters will talk about the benefit of increased cycling speed
    Wildcat Handloaders will talk about needing stiffer springs due to hotter loads

All are valid points but if your shooting commercially loaded standard pressure ammo...well...that's what the pistol was designed to shoot so it's really just about the cool factor and how far you'd like to take it.

Sorta like the two teenagers who both drive Honda Civics. One kid is saving for colledge and his car represents basic transportation. He spends money on gas and maintenance out necessity. The other kid reads ever street racer publication out there and between wheels, tires, and stereo...has invested more in add ons than he paid for the car. He's an enthusiast and there is nothing wrong with that...

It's just about doing whatever brings you joy.

Tack

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

For a concealed weapon :confused:

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Lol simply put, "Yup"!

I do it just because I like a stiffer slide rack when I load the handgun. I like it to slam back so I don't have to repeat the process because it didn't completely set on a chambered round. I had that happen a lot with all but one gun I've owned and is simply a real annoyance. You either lose a round or have to reload another round back into the mag. For me it's an easy, and cheap, time saving and stress reducing fix.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Hoss

The OP is like 6'4" and 300+ pounds...Sounds like TexasBear could conceal a smart car...so yes, for concealed carry. ;)

Tack

18. TexasBear

TexasBear New Member

A smart car wouldn't even be considered body armor on me. Everything's bigger in Texas.

As for the comment on the springs, that is kind of what I was thinking. Maybe if I shot competitively I would give it more thought but for now, I think some sights and a case of ammo will do.

Speaking of sights, what do you think of the XS big dot sights? I'm thinking of those over the trijicon sights.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well shoot- He's only got 2" & 100lbs on me!

20. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Grips that actually fit my hand (looking nice is a bonus)
    And the slight reduced strength springs simply to smooth out the trigger pull.

I listed all the possible parts that can be tweeked/upgraded simply because some people do those.