Upgraded BCG

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TankTop, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Since every reasonably priced BCG is gone, if you want to buy one may as well get a good one rather than a cheap one. What are some good quality ones and not just snake oil?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

3. TankTop

Looks nice, it's out of stock too!

Anyone have any experience with young manufacturing cromed bolt. Please give me a thumbs up and I'll order one now!

4. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I've read a lot of posts on other sites that they have cracking problems. That's why I didn't order one. I heard the quality has gotten better but I didn't want to take that chance. Just my .02

5. TankTop

How about the black rain nickel boron bcg?

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would just get on the waiting / back order list for a good mil-spec BCG and wait it out.

7. TankTop

I just ordered the black rain from ROGTAC, worst case scenario I get a mil spec when they become more available. I have been watching and the shelves are bare and getting worse.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

bravo company is hard to beat

9. TankTop

Thanks for everyone's input however the post was asking about upgraded BCG's not standard M16 phosphate ones. Anyway like I just said I ordered the black rain, now my only worry is not having to work too hard on a buffer weight to get it to cycle properly.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive yet to be convinced there is any real advantage of exotic coatings on a bcg over the standard milspec finish.

krieger is a top barrel maker and recomends the use of milspec bcg and bolts in conjunction with their ar15 barrels. they will fit other bolts to their barrels

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  11. TankTop

And I totally agree!!! Thanks!!! Can you please point me to a website that has them in stock??? Ok, now let's talk about upgraded ones for those of us that would like to purchase something now. Not trying to be Richard Cranium here but you can't get a Bravo company right now or anything else similar, what's the next best thing. I already bought but maybe someone else would like to know...

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The thing is about these hyped BCGs, many times you are paying twice as much but actually downgrading. I'd get on BCM's mailing list and jump on it when they notify you. Since you already have a BCG it's not like you have to have it yesterday.

How much is the Black Rain and what to they claim?

13. TankTop

Actually I don't already have a BCG, that's why I ordered the black rain. It's just over $200, I know it's expensive but better than nothing at all. I will be completing my rifle before Christmas and didn't want a thousand dollar paper weight...

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sorry, I thought you had one already.

I looked at the BR, they're short on specs but it looks pretty good and you're desperate. This is a tough time to find a milspec BCG and ROGTAC will treat you right so let us know what you think of the BR. I'm not expecting any trouble but I do think we're talking snake oil and country club BCGs.

By great specs, I'm thinking of what BCM publishes (below) and wonder why the "upscale makers are so silent when it comes to specs":

•Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel
    •HPT Bolt (High Pressure Tested/ Proof)
    •MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)
    •Shot Peened Bolt
    •Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
    •Chrome Lined Gas Key
    •Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
    •Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
    •Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
    •Tool Steel Extractor
    •BCM Extractor Spring
    •Black Extractor Insert
    •Mil-Spec Crane O-Ring

15. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Just sign up for the email notice on the BCM (or other) BCG. They go into stock often so if you pay attention to your email you should be able to snag one soon. Even allot of the coated ones are out of stock often as well.