Updrades to make an AR more reliable?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by irockglock, Jun 19, 2012.

1. irockglock

irockglock New Member

Just picked up a brand new DPMS Oracle.
    I really want to personalize it with tacticool stuff but first I want to make it as reliable as it can be. Any suggestions on what I should do?
    I am an AR noob.
    Thanks

I just noticed I spelt upgrades wrong. My bad

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

I'm probably not knowledgeable enough to say much but I think that you will find that the things that will make your rifle more "reliable" will probably cost a little money, in saying that you may have been better of getting an over all more " reliable" rifle not trying to discourage the new rifle I think it's great I would say you may want to look at a new bolt and/or carrier such as a dd or BCM I'm not really sure I'm qualified to say much these guys know much more than me! Congrats on new gun!

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Shooting it a few hundred times to get a feel for it and to diagnose any performance issues is the first step. If there are no feeding, ejecting, or cycling issues you're good to go. Most reliability issues will involve feeding (mags) or cycling (gas system and correct buffer). Stocks, foregrigs, handguards and optics have little or no impact on mechanical performance and reliability.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

IROC,
    You rather have a good dependable AR or you do not. Mostly depends on manufacturer and quality of parts and production procedures. In general if a company builds a good AR and you keep the bolt carrier and bolt lubed properly it should be reliable. You should not have to do anything to a good AR to make it dependable. If it isn't it needs to be returned to the manufacturer. Unfortunately some are not of the quality of others.
    But the Magazine is the number one cause of AR malfunctions! :)

5. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I can only recommend some good lube, a little grease, a few mag and a lot of ammo (tula, wolf pmc, m193,etc ).

Then go out and has yu sum fun. ;)

Ps more pron.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have found that the accessory that does the most to keep an AR running is a good cleaning kit.

7. irockglock

irockglock New Member

Thanks for the great opinions and info y'all.
    I haven't shot it yet , so I'll go do that first. And add some iron sights :/

Has anyone here tried the EXO Nickel Boron Bolt Carriers?

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If u keep it lubed well ,and clean it every 1000 rds that's a expensive unneeded item

9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

If you run 500 rds thru it flawlessly like it is , use you money for a nice optic of some sort and don't fix what isn't broke .

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Id check the staking on the castle nut and gas key to start. Either of those come loose and your taking a little break.

I wouldnt worry to much about over cleaning. I rarely do more than wipe mine off then relube.

11. irockglock

irockglock New Member

True true thanks

12. irockglock

irockglock New Member

It looks like one of the nuts on the gas key wasn't staked properly. Is it fine to stake it myself?

What grease or lube do you recommend?

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I recommend Mobil1 full synthetic motor oil 5-30W. I lube my guns with it, works great.

14. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Generally the more crap you add, the less reliable it gets.

Keep in mind this is a generalization, some guns need some work from the start.

15. irockglock

irockglock New Member

Haha I might try that!

16. irockglock

irockglock New Member

Okay, now that I have been messing around with it, charging the charging handle I noticed BIG TIME wear on it already, on the handle itself
    :/ any way to charge it a better way so it won't wear as much. Dang I haven't even shot it yet :/

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thats how it supposed to be. Mine is like that too. No matter how much we lube it, it will show some wear. Mine (the wear) is on the left side as the latch is on the left.

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Same here on the wear , no big deal . , I have been using a Mobil 1 Synthetic also, it works good , but I just picked up a tube of Lucas gun oil to try out . Got one of them lubed with it but havent gotten out with it yet . Im spending too many hrs at work this time of season and not enough ME time !!!!

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I use a multi purpose grease. I find it to create a smoother action than motor oil or other gun oils I have used. Using a q-tip put a little in the receiver extension, channel for the charging handle, on the gas key, bolt, and wherever else you think appropriate. It's cheap as well.

Sell the BCG and get a PSA, Spikes, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, or LMT.

You're kind of fighting an uphill battle but it can be won. It also depends on how you plan on using this rifle. You've made it past the biggest hurdle, purchasing an AR.

20. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I agree with Sniper03, just buy a bunch of ammo and go shoot it. Lube up the bcg nice and wet and go have fun. Mikejk is right in that the only upgrade worth getting is a bolt. A standard milspec HP/MP Carpenter steel bolt (not the carrier) would be a smart buy. Id keep your old dpms bolt as a spare tho.

Go have fun with it. Go go go.