UPDATED! FIXED AND NOT WHAT U THOUGHT, Beretta M9 Commercial wont fully seat a round?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CorpsTac, Jul 4, 2020.

1. CorpsTac

CorpsTac Member

UPDATE: FOUND OUT THE PROBLEM WHICH NO ONE WILL QUESS. PRETTY STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCE BUT A EASY REPAIR AND NOT SOMETHING I OR ANYONE WOULD WANT TO HAPPEN ESPECIALLY IN A CARRY GUN

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

I have a Beretta M9 Commercial with less then 600 rds thru it and it has functioned 100% until a recent range trip.
    My father was shooting it and he's handicapped and shoots from a wheelchair. The way he holds the gun because of the height of the ranges booth he stretches his arms out and rests the gun on the booth board. He started limp risting I noticed and right after that the M9 would no longer fully seat a round. It goes into battery on a empty mag but with a round inserted it goes most of the way in but the last little bit of the round doesn't fully seat and no matter what I try it wont fully seat and I'm definitely not riding the slide. And I'm 99.9% sure it's not a mag problem.

Anyone know if anything other then a bad mag that would stop a round from fully seating but will seat on a empty mag?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Clean and oil it if you haven’t yet. Limp wristing, even if true, would not cause a lasting malfunction.
    Not sure what you mean on an empty mag, you mean the last round before it’s empty?

Lonewolf Mcquade and AgedWarrior like this.

3. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Reading this I instinctively want to suggest clean and lube, but like Mercator, I am wondering what exactly you mean about closing on an empty mag. Are you saying the last round chambers fine, or simply the slide goes forward fully into battery with empty chamber and mag? For the first, I would suggest trying another mag. For the latter a thorough clean and lube, then try again. Some cheap ammo will foul the chamber because the case does not fully expand against the chamber walls and allows gases to push backwards a bit and will build up carbon in the chamber faster; are the cases you fired pretty heavy with soot, or relatively clean?

Bottom line, clean and lube properly and run it again.

CorpsTac likes this.
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Like most automatic pistols, the cartridge headspaces off the mouth of the cartridge case sliding up against a raised ring at the front of the chamber. If you get crud/ carbon/ shaved bit of metal wedged in there, the round cannot fully seat.

Before I did anything else, I would take the gun down, wet the chamber and bore with a good solvent (there are dozens, but Hoppes or CLP are good) let it set for about 10 minutes, and use a slightly larger brush from the back. For a 9mm, about a .40 cal. Insert brush, and TURN it. Do this for about 2 minutes, then dry patch until it comes clean. Take a good light, inspect chamber for crud.

Now go look at the extractor. Sometimes it gets crud packed in there. Powder solvent, toothbrush. (Hint- dollar store, 5 cheap brushes for a dollar. Means you don't go thru the morning tasting Hoppes on your toothbrush).

Now give it a try.

5. CorpsTac

CorpsTac Member

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. I didnt try cleaning it yet.
    As for what I meant about it going into battery on a empty mag is with no rounds in the mag I can rack the slide and the slide will fully seat but with no rounds in the mag or in the gun at all. It doesn't fully seat when trying to load a round and no round will ever load at all now.
    I'm gonna clean and live and inspect the extractor and see how she works then and I'll post back later tonite with the results. I do appreciate all you guys helping!!!

Mercator likes this.
  6. Mercator

A dirty chamber will do that. And 600 rounds without cleaning is too much for a tight new gun you paid for :)

7. CorpsTac

CorpsTac Member

I found out the problem and it will most likely surprise ya!

I keep the gun very clean and pretty much clean it after every or every other range trip.

I was taking you guys advice and started cleaning it. I took it apart for normal cleaning and inspected the parts which all looked good. I sprayed some Remington cleaner/degreaser and started cleaning. I put a nylon bristle brush on and went to clean the barrel and it only would go halfway. So I puzzled and pull the rod out and look down the barrel and halfway in is a fired bullet.

After some thought I remembered a couple weeks ago I was unloading some mags and one 9mm round came apart. The bullet became unseated and the powder fell right out. I put the bullet back in just lightly and was gonna just get rid of it.

Well something happened and it got misplaced back into my main 9mm ammo can.

So after a little thought I figured it had to be the round with no powder in. Having a round halfway down the tube is exactly what would happen when fired with mp powder and just the primer. So I tapped the bullet out finished cleaning the M9 and loaded a few mags and just started cycling the 3 mags and every round fully seated and ejected perfectly.

Pretty strange circumstance. If a round ever comes apart on me again I'm getting rid of it that very second. God forbid that was during a self protection circumstance.

Just a really weird thing to happen but I'm glad it wasnt something wrong with it.

Thanks so much for all your help to everyone who posted. I truly do appreciate you guys taking the time to want to help.

AgedWarrior likes this.
  8. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I am glad you solved the problem! I assumed you had already looked for any obvious obstructions in the chamber and barrel. My bad for assuming! if it had managed to push in a little further it would have been dangerous. I am not sure what ammo you are using, but you might want to consider a change? At least inspect it pretty closely...and discard flawed stuff...:(

schnuffleupagus, bluez and Gatoragn like this.
  9. Mercator

No it was spot on. Cleaning is inspecting. Good things happen!

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  10. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

are those your reloads?
    if so, maybe you might want a little taper crimp on them!

AgedWarrior and schnuffleupagus like this.