UPDATE: Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 500mag_guy, Apr 2, 2011.

1. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

Well i am happy with my Weatherby now. This morning i woke up and for the first time in a month NO WIND!! Went out and send a few down my range and here are my results. 50 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. :D

click the pictures to make them bigger.
    223 groups 003.jpg

223 groups 004.jpg

223 groups 007a.jpg

223 groups 009.jpg

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is a great looking 3 round group. Was this cold bore? Yardage?

3. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

sorry i was in a hurry when i posted so i spaced all information. it was after 6 rounds down range then 7,8,9 was what is on the pictures. It was at 100 yards and i honestly think i pulled the first shot which is the one that is to the right and low. i truely think that i could send three in the same hole.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That is still a good group for a "factory" rifle. I am a BIG fanboy of the Howa action / Weatherby Vanguard. I think it is one of the best factory actions available, if not THE BEST, in a production setting.

That group just reinforces what I have been saying about the Weatherby Vanguard SUB-MOA models. Some of the best your money can buy IMO.

Thanks for the report.

5. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

I agree this is my first Weatherby and i love the thing. Working a load up for a gun is the longest process but once you get it, man it feels good dropping a few in the same hole. I love reloading and working loads. I do it for alot of guys at work.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I cheated on my first two. I just had my chamber cut for one specific load. The chamber fits tight and when I pull the trigger, rounds go where I want. ;)

Not everyone has the natural long range talent it would appear you possess. :cool:

EDIT: For what it's worth, I think you would make a good Supporting Member here. Give it some thought, we have an outstanding S/M cast of some VERY serious shooters. ;)

JD

7. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

Well i have my bullets seated at a 1/16 to a 1/8 before my rifling and do this for everyone of my rifles. i have a unprimered round set to length for every one of my rifles so when it comes time to reload again i can set it just perfect for that rifle.

I would definitely say long range shooting is 75% talent and 25% patience's. There is no luck in true long range shooting. True long range shooting is using your turrets so you can aim right where you want it to hit, not just hold high and spray and pray. It took me many many years to get the patience's to shoot long range, and you need the patience's to get the talent. People say that I am unethical for taking deer/elk at 700 yards but when you have time, a good solid rest, all your ballistics carts for ranges out to 1000 yards, and the TONS of practice under your belt to do so. its every bit as ethical as someone with no shooting ability shooting at a deer at 100 yards. I have shot many deer and elk at ranges people would frown upon and i have never had one take another step. This next year i WILL video a shot at 700+ yards. one shot one kill. dropped where its at. I shoot these distances at targets with the same rests as i use for hunting as often as possible and that more then 3 times a month.

I will most definitely give being a supporting member a thought. I really like this board!