Up in Smoke

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by willshoum, Apr 21, 2010.

1. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico on fire as of last nite, will this put a damper on getting new drilling on coastal States than ban drilling. This rig is 60 miles from home in La, in this State we depend on the oil and gas industry for jobs. So do people from out state that work the rigs in the Gulf. My prayers for the 126 workers and their familys. Wills

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Arson!! Anyone account for those pesky ELF dorks?

3. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Do you have a link? Do they know what started the fire?

4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

This could really be a bad deal for offshore drilling. There has not been a published cause yet, and probably won't be for some time. Obviously there was a loss of well control (blow-out). The very black smoke indicates that crude oil is still burning as of daylight today so it appears the well is still flowing - that is very bad news!

This was a latest generation ultra deep water semi-submersible drilling rig (not a production platform!).

Attached Files:

5. orangello

orangello New Member

I have heard that some locals were on board. I wish them all the best. I've had a few friends work the rigs.

6. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Rig on fire

I had a conversation with my neighbor who flys choppers for Air Log. He didnt make runs to this Rig but to one 30 miles farther south. He said he saw the biggest Hammer Head sharks ever swimming around the platform he had to land on. With 11 people missing you never know. Wills in da swamp. Jesus is my crutch in times of need.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Just something that immediately popped into my deranged mind!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

'Cause Hammerheads do stuff like this. As do Grizzly Bears, Lions, and Jeffery Dahmer.
    I've seen the lineup just outside the break in Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami from the air.

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

It doesn't take much to start a fire on those boys, gas pockets and sparks. God bless their souls and their families.

10. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

On the contrary, it DOES take a lot to start a fire on a drilling rig or production platform. The offshore oil & gas industry is VERY safety and environmentally conscious. Automated safety systems are quite extensive and are very effective. The federal regulations are very strict and oversight by the MMS and the USCG is pretty significant. And believe it or not most oil companies really do not want anything like this to happen.

The drilling rig has now sunk. The missing 11 crew are almost certainly dead, they probably were killed on the drill floor in the initial explosion. The biggest concern now is if the well is still flowing at the sub-sea wellhead. This could have significant environmental AND political consequences. Say good-bye to the recently hoped for opening of the West Coast of Florida and the eastern US to exploration. And even though the overall safety and environmental record of the offshore drilling industry is VERY good, look for the environmental radicals to use this incdent as a drum to beat down further offshore drilling.

The cause of this disaster is as of now unknown, however they will figure out what happened. There was a major system failure of some kind that prevented the sub-sea blow-out preventer (BOP) from shutting in the well at the sub-sea wellhead.

11. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I definitely wouldn't call this the STRAIGHT skinny, but my bother works for a company that had guys on the rig, and lost two of them as a result. This is some of the things they know right now.

If you aren't in the oil and gas industry this may not make much sense.

The rig had reached it's final drilling depth. They were done "drilling" and were in the process of switching from cutting fluid to completion fluid (cement). They were still getting cuttings out of the well (chunks of dirt, clay and rocks). They had already switched to pumping completion fluids down the hole before the well was totally free of cuttings. It was during this time of switching fluids that a large pocket of natural gas erupted, causing a blow out.

Knowing what stage of the process they were in and word from one of the egineers that had just gotten off duty, the guys that are missing were more than likely standing right at ground zero when things went to $hit.

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

As of today they have submersables looking at how to stop the flow of oil on the drill site. From what I heard they had equipment failure while the were doing the cementing part. This was due to the amount of pressure from the gas pocket. One such but smaller inshore rig hit a gas pocket while drilling in Terrebonne Parish in La. The thing lit up the skys. The only thing left was a barge standing in verticle position. I pray that they can contain the oil, shrimping season opened last week in the gulf, if this gets inshore it will ruin the fishing industry. Wills in da Swamp........

13. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Yup...and that is not the only damn thing that will be affected by that oil spill. Do you remember the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989 and the still, on going damage to Prince William Sound, in Alaska....I do! :(

Jack

14. willshoum

willshoum New Member

When the Smoke clears

Hell is coming to pay a visit to the Gulf Coast. If they can't stop the flow of oil from the drill site in the next few days this will be the next Exxon Valdeez. From Florida to Texas. If that oil gets into whats left of the La. coast it will wipe out the entire fishing industry as we know it. Satelite photos show the oil spill from space. In da Swamp in La.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Drowning in Oil

Free oil, And nobody wants it. This is what they call Texas Tea! No Body and I Mean No Body was prepared for this. And what makes this even worse B P voted against New Fed. Reg. To improve Safety Reg. and this sort of Catastrophe. I'll take a Hurricane any day comepared to this. Wills in da Swamp in La.

16. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Up in arms

I just heard over the Radio on WWL that Obami is sending the three stooges from his Cabinet to over see the Oil Spill clean up in La. They will most likely Take a plane, fly over the Gulf, see the spill, fly back to Washington, and tell Osammy, Yep they got and Oil Slick. Wills in da soon to be Oilly Swamp!:mad:

17. orangello

orangello New Member

What happened to those oil-eating microbes that were being developed for this kind of emergency? The shrimp might like microbes.

I find it ironic that it took the death of a fatazz Kennedy to get a clean-running wind power facility started off Cape Cod, but the oil is still pouring out into the Gulf unabated down here. All in all, i'd rather have the oil than a Kennedy though.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  18. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Drowning in oil

In 2009 while the GOV. was pushing for more safety Reg. B. P. Said that this type of catastrophe could"t Happen. Hello Anybody out there. :eek::eek::eek:

19. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I read that the cutoff is 5,000 feet under water. They're going to try to use robotics, but chances are slim that that would work. BP estimates at least three months to get the flow stopped.

This is a disaster of epic proportions. God bless all in LA, FL, MS, and AL who will be mosted affected. Many livelihoods will be completely lost because of this.