Unusual investigation

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by John_Deer, Oct 8, 2013.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A gun running ring was busted in August. I haven't made a post about this investigation because I was waiting on more information. A Sanford, NC man was arrested for running over 100 guns into NY on Greyhound buses.

Investigators said he had numerous people making straw purchases for him. Most of the guns were handguns. One can only get 5 pistol purchase permits every six months. Only seven accomplices were arrested with the gunrunner. The names of the accomplices are being withheld.

Many of these guns had to be stolen. Yet there were no arrests for burglary. I doubt any of these guns will be returned to their rightful owner.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/08/19/3120374/sanford-man-accused-of-smuggling.html

2. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

Does North Carolina not return stolen property to the rightful owner when the trial is over?

Did anyone report them stolen?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep. I'd like to hear "the rest of the story."

4. TDS92A

I agree. It has been almost two months, and you would think that a crime like this would have made more noise than this. :rolleyes:

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Or... If NY were to repel its laws stupid gun laws, there wouldn't be a smuggling ring. Put up a state background check to stop the bad dudes from buying guns from a legitimate source, get rid of the rest of the gun laws, and you won't have smugglers.

People will always smuggle things when there's profit to be made. All the gun laws have done is spiked the demand for guns while lowering the profit, thus putting the existing guns at a premium price. Look at the below quote, they even admit it.

Get rid of the gun laws, prices drop back to normal, gun smuggling goes away. So the bad guys will smuggle other stuff.

6. TDS92A

How dare you approach this problem with common sense!!! :D

7. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

"Common sense, reasonable gun control dialog" ....

:rolleyes:

8. TDS92A

The only "reasonable gun control" is a good cheek to stock meld, using both hands, or a sling. Anything else is sailboat fuel. ;)

9. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard a story a couple of years ago, and I heard it more then second hand. A local floridian had some guns taken in a burglary. three or four pistols and a home defense pump shotgun of some kind. The story goes that a couple were found in Florida, and withing a couple of months he received them back. One was recovered in New York, and the NYPD contacted him for information on the burglary and to confirm that it was stolen. This guy did that and asked when he could expect the handgun returned. He was told it would be kept until the trial and then destroyed, that New York did not, as policy, return stolen firearms.

Like I typed, it was told to me, and I know none of those involved. It could be fiction, and it could be fact, but it follows New York's attitude towards firearms.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

guns being smuggled into NY has been going on for years due to the problems of getting them in NY. not exactly new news. i suspect it will continue to happen again.

11. RJMercer

RJMercer New Member

Create a demand with unconstitutional laws and the price of the product increases. An enterprising individual will inevitably fall in to fill that demand. Free markets kick the commies in the junk once again.

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

NY City is and has been a huge market for illegal just about anything! Prior to the Act, it was generally your run of the mill criminal/ thug involved in the sale and purchase but now they will be adding whole new classes of crooks that never were before the Act. Im Hoping the Unsafe Act get repealed before the trafficking of weapons goes completely out of control here, My sense is it wont until after the next Election for Governor a couple years from now!

Think about it for a second, Albany Andy has created both a bubble of millions of now illegal weapons/ Mags and a vacuum of "I cant get some of them anymore" at the same time, neither is safer than what we had before the act! The flood of weapons leaving the state as Many NY citizens attempt to follow the Act wont be good for the other 47 states that will allow them and many just will be transferred illegally to NYers that have nothing legal on their minds.

Sadly, its only the legal, law abiding citizens that will follow the Act but they were not the threat Andy said the Un-safe Act was gonna correct to begin with. It certainly wont stop Government authorized Illegal transfers like F&F, it wont stop gang bangers from trading in them and exchanging lead via the trigger, it wont stop the beatdowns that are happening in the cities, it wont curb violence in any manner other than disarming those that might have been protected by their legal 2A rights.

Get ready folks, Andy doesnt want to be Governor of NY next election (although he likely will try if the Dems dont give him the national nod), he wants to replace BHO in the Big House! If you look at the giant vote tanks, Cali, Ohio, Ill, Fla and a few others, they have enough Lib lovers to elect him, FOOG. I would welcome almost anything to get him out of Albany, everything but moving him up to POTUS!

13. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

In all honesty... I don't trust the Snooze & Disturber (remember... They tried to publish addresses and names of CCW holders a while back)... and doubly don't trust anything gun related having to do with New York City (AKA "Nanny Bloomy's Utopia").....

Far be it for me to be a conspiracy nut :rolleyes:... But this smacks of another Bloomberg anti-gun attempt and he probably picked (maybe at random) a freedom loving, gun friendly state (AKA my beloved home state) to be a scapegoat for the origin of the trafficking. Remember, this guy has deep pockets and thinks his jurisdiction goes waaaaaayyyyy beyond the borders of his 5 burros. Every time you see an anti-gun/anti 2nd effort... trace the money NOT the guns. It leads right to his doorstep. He also has the means to bury it when people start asking too many questions.( ;);) say no more!!)

The good news is he is at his tenure for Mayor and cannot run again. The bad news is he is at his tenure for Mayor... and can now be a "free agent/lobbyer" for the Anti's efforts... and he would love nothing more than to be Mayor of THE WHOLE COUNTRY!!! The day he gives away all his money and gives up his (for now) taxpayer paid private security force is the day I will give up ANY of my lawfully owned firearms.... and I'm not holding my breath on that one!!

14. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Watch the shift, if Andy goes for the Federal Nod, Bloomies going for Governor! Its not so far a stretch of the imagination. NY City would re-elect him in a second if they could and they do swing our state whenever they can, (Like a modern day Lynching).

Sorry you had to leave NC, hope we we thats left can make it a place you wanna come back to. Were workin on it, and gaining ground, slowly but surely, were taking NY back! Besides, if the Tree Huggers are right, They wont be able to build a wall big enough to keep the ocean from swallowing them up like a whale eats krill! Ces't la Vie and good ridence!

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  16. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

I'm sorry... Should have been clearer... NC is my home state. I work (however) with 2 guys from the Albany area who moved here for 1) work and 2) to get away from a state ran by it's biggest city's mentality. They've become regular shooting buddies of mine and I've notice having spent time with them that for the most part, the Western part of NY State still has that Ethan Allen/Green-mountain Boys way of thinking.... While NYC has a "government will take care of it" attitude that is probably the end result of the last great Euro-Immigrant influx from a century ago who were use to being under a class-ruling/monarchal system.... I know you have a struggle for the soul of your state and I wish you all the luck I can muster up (you KNOW which side I'm pulling for ;) ) !!

NO offense to those (like my German/Polish decendent Father-In-Law) who did see the freedoms available and embraced them wholeheartedly !!! BTW... he did move down here permanently when I married his daughter 20 years ago. After 59 years of living and working in NY & NJ he had had enough.

Yes... that whole Cuomo / Bloomberg "going nationwide" situation concerns me. Luckily, there are vast tracks of areas where people in this country cannot be BS'd so easily.... but Hillary (UN policy) Clinton doesn't look any better in my eyes either.

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Not surprised that NY would not return stolen guns to their rightful owners. Yep, there's lots of smuggling between NC and NY. Smuggling cigarettes into NY is a big time operation.

18. TDS92A

Maybe next time someone could smuggle in some common sense. They seem to be lacking alot there. :D