unsure of baffle strike

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Jake2212, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Jake2212

Jake2212 New Member

let me start off by saying this is my first suppressor so I dont exactly know what im looking for. I recently got my tax stamp back for my AAC 762SDN6 so i took it shooting. the rifle i used was a 300 blackout with a 14.5'' barrel and a pinned muzzle brake. the gun shop that i had do the pin/weld for the brake put a crush washer on it instead of shimming it and improperly welded it on so the brake is loose on the barrel. I had chunks of copper jacket in the chamber, lower, the bolt and some in the suppressor. at first i thought it was bad ammo because it was hollow point with a flat plastic tip and was having trouble feeding. i tried to take a picture of the baffles as best I could, but i dont notice any markings or deformity. should I send it in to AAC to have it checked out? i attached the pictures i took for reference. IMG_2976[1].JPG IMG_2975[1].JPG IMG_2974[1].JPG IMG_2973[1].JPG

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

This goes on over the brake?

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

First off, Anytime you install a suppressor on a new host you should pull the bolt out of the rifle and make sure you can't see any of the suppressor baffles, end cap obstructing the bore.
    If the suppressor isn't inline with the bore you're asking for a baffle strike, or worse, a completely ruined suppressor.

It doesn't look like you had a baffle strike, but it does sound like you need to find a competent gunsmith that knows how to install a brake correctly for a suppressor to be attached to.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The bullet chunks that you're seeing is another issue.
    Load up the same magazine with those bullets and load the weapon. Then eject the unfired round. Look at the bullet, and see if it is damaged.
    It could be hitting the front of the magazine, or getting shoved into the top or bottom of the chamber from the magazine feed lips not being bent correctly.

MisterMcCool and Dallas53 like this.