Unknown Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TrangTuan, Jul 29, 2013.

1. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Howdy Guys,

Just a supprise on my eye today, as i went to my local pawn shop, just looking around and in the corner of my eye, i saw an shotgun with old wooden stock and grip, and i look at the price tag, 1 of them is $60.00 and the other one is $90.00.

I can't believe my eye how dirt cheap the shotgun is lol at pawnshop. Yes i know is risky cause it might be broken or something damage internal and hard to fix and all sort of crazy idea you can put it, Or it can be a minor fix? like shell extractor problem?.

What is the chances of the shotgun will work?

I'm thinking of buying one and see the result?

Any idea guys? (I don't have a shotgun yet, and this might be a good chance of me owning one? or just buy it and sell for more lol)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Chances are 50/50. It either works, or it does not.

Note of caution- do you know what a damascus barreled shotgun is?

3. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Thanks.
    Wish i do, but no i don't know what that is.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Back in the days of black powder, low pressure shotguns, barrels were made by heating thin strips of steel, wrapping them around a rod (the mandrel) re-heating them, and hammer welding the strips.

Each of the thousands of welds in such a barrel is a potential weak point, especially when the corrosion common with black powder is added in. If fired with modern ammo, a weakened Damascus barrel can come unwelded, doing an imitation of a hand grenade.

Is that what you are looking at? Don't know- neither do you. Your description gives us NO info to work from. I HAVE bought decent, used utility grade shotguns for under $100- and they are out there- but without more info, and we can do is guess.

And if we were that good at guessing, we would be down at 7-11 buying a lottery ticket.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pictures in good focus, model numbers and markings help a lot.

i too have picked up some decent firearms for cheap that were in good working order, but were cosmetically challenged. a good clean-up and refinishing brought them back to life for not much money.

so if you know what you are looking at, have a little knowledge about the gun in question, then sometimes ther are some diamonds in the rough out there.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

The Mossberg 500 pump that I picked up for $100 at the pawn shop on the way to hunt doves still works just fine...still fairly ugly too. It is a pre-1978 model I got in 1995.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

No name or model number on them?

8. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

bet they are stevens crack shots.....

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Bet they are not as crack shots are rifles.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Damascus Barrels look like this !.................

Attached Files:

11. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Nah, let me go see it again tomorow. Prob gonna buy it and see. If it good i sell it. If it bad i keep it and fix it up.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Usually. The pattern in some may not be as visible, or even completely hidden. IIRC, demascus steel looks like regular steel until it is etched.

I'd recommend having a good gunsmith give it a once over. Especially the barrel.

13. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Hey Guys, I found it, It look like this [​IMG]

Is a Break Action Shotgun, It is worth $60? Thing i can buy it and resell it for more?

Look kinda old, But with allitle bit of work i can make it back in good condition.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Probably a H&R or NEF break action, single shot. These have been made in large numbers since before 1900. They have not gone through many design changes since that time, and they are still being made today. They were made to be an affordable shotgun option for folks on a budget. They work well. They are not rare. They retailed under $100 new for a long long time. It is not likely you would make much money off of one if you tried to resell it.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i don't mean to rain on your parade, but buying firearms to resell at a profit without an FFL is illegal, just a heads up.

16. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

looks like your generig NEF or H&R single shot.

I'd pay 50-100 depending on condition. I bought one that was about 98% for $75 the other month. Did this to it because I was bored.

[​IMG]