Unknown Gun

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by OandB, Feb 19, 2013.

1. OandB

OandB New Member

A friend gave me this gun and we have no idea what kind it is or the round it shoots. Help please.

The markings are 7mm and 2L59xx on the barrel 914 and 7 on the bolt.

image-4117062499.jpg

image-1989225406.jpg

2. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Well it would help to have a closer front shot of the chamber for one. Also, if you take the stock off you may find some more information on the bottom of the barrel.

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Definitely appears to have European origins. Possibly Finnish or even Russian? Did your friend say where he got it from. Check all markings like the above said.

4. OandB

OandB New Member

He didn't. Ill upload another picture.

image-938091983.jpg

image-2971087944.jpg

image-2736640144.jpg

image-3185451766.jpg

5. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

My guess is it's a sporterized Mauser in 7 X 57mm Mauser.The country it was sold to should've been on the top front of the reciever but the front scope mount has it covered. If you remove the fromt scope mount there may be enough writing left to see which country it was made for. Then again maybe not. My guess is South American ( Bloivian, Chilean, etc.) Then again I could be waaaay off!!
    Have it checked by a qualitied gunsmith to make sure of the caliber and headspacing and if it's ok .....shoot it!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

Just curious, how does the bore look?

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There's your answer ^^^

8. OandB

OandB New Member

The bore looks real good.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Looks like whats left of a 1916-Spanish Mauser to me.................

10. OandB

OandB New Member

I'm not looking to sell but is there any value in this gun?

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Value to who?
    While I may not place a value on a 7mm, there are others who prize that greatly.

Value? Yes, a nice present from a friend. That is something of great value.

12. ratpacker

ratpacker Member

There would be minimal value ; 280-300 bucks. If you had a couple of boxes of the correct (chambering) ammo to go with it ..on the sale.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sadly, when a military rifle has been "sporterized" (Converted over to a civilian hunting rifle profile) about 95% of any value as a COLLECTOR'S firearm just went away, like the dew before the morning sun. What is left is the value as a light sporter shooter- Probably $100-$200, depending.

WHY did people do that? Well, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away- right after WW 2, there was a shortage of civilian rifles- and they were PRICY. And there were all of these really inexpensive military surplus rifles- they had 55 gallon DRUMS of them down at the surplus store- for $10-$15, go pick out a Mauser, add a scope, reshape stock, maybe go to a better trigger....

With the final result is pristine specimens in their original military configuration are downright scarce and pricy, but not so converted military arms.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

My grandmother's deer rifle looks very similar. Probably a model 93 or 95 Mauser in 7x57 Mauser. It is a good round. Most modern factory ammo is loaded on the light side because of these rifles. The action isn't as beefy as the model 98. The factory ammo shoots on par with a hot rod .30-30 with a flatter trajectory. In a more modern rifle the round can be loaded to its full potential and is a fantastic round that can slightly edge out the 7-08. But don't try it in these older rifles. Using factory ammo it makes a very pleasant shooter and is very capable of taking deer sized game quite efficiently. I've seen and tasted the results ofy grandmother's success with such a rifle.

15. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Seems like Mausers were the red headed step child of sporterizations. I have what appears to be an 1888 Mauser the guys here identified for me. All the metal is beautiful, and the stock looks like the product of anal sex.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

The stock looks like Obama? Ya know, people see Jesus in a piece of toast all the time. I wouldn't be surprised.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Yours could be made into a perfect looking rifle. I can pull a few books and see what it should have had for a stock.
    As far as the rifle the OP has. It would be a great little hunter. Because of the 7x57 it still has value. Bet that action is as smooth as butter. The action is suited for 7x57 and is very good in its' roll for that cartridge. If there was a way to see all the stamps that are still exposed and the bottom of the barrel under the stock, along w/ the tang it would really help.

18. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Actually that would be pretty nice. I'd like to see what it "should" look like. Perhaps if it's not cost prohibitive I may just do it

19. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I've never seen a gun that is that ugly.

20. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Looks Like a Mauser for sure. 7x57mm is what I would guess. But u never know and putting the wrong round in there is not a good thing. I would take it to a gun expert and have them look at it.