Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
Looks very nice. It is not a Colt 1855. They had a side hammer. It lokks somehow Spanish to me. I am at a loss. Are there any markings visible?

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yeah, it's a pinfire. You can see the notches in the chambers for the pins. My guess is Lefaucheux also

·
Administrator
26,444 Posts
I would contact the National Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax VA. You have what appears to be a pinfire revolving carbine- most likely a Lefaucheux (French). And a nicely done one, at that. Probably about .43 cal.
Open frame, shape of hammer, shape of recoil shield, ejector. Run a google IMAGE search for Lefaucheux, take a peek at whats there. See resemblance?

There are a few truly scarce arms around- and I feel this is one of them. Have seen a LeMat (revolver/shotgun) carbine ONCE in my life. You may have such a once-in-a-life item here.

·
Administrator
26,444 Posts
Cappo- spoke with David Condon today at gun show. David handles upper end older arms. He will be tied up at show on Sunday, but drop him a note thru david.condon.com, and send him the photos you posted. He has seen a few of the revolving carbines, and may be able to offer you some help. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts