Universal Decapper.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by SmokyMtnHiker, Mar 12, 2014.

1. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I've heard some military surplus once fired brass has crimped primer pockets; is this correct? I've been reloading 9mm for about a year now. I just resently ordered a 308 bolt rifle and I'm wanting to reload my 308. To start off with I just want to load for plinking.

So, if its true about the surplus brass would the deprimer/resizer die be strong enough to push the primers out if they were crimped in or would that universal decapper be the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Firearms Talk mobile app

2. ams556

ams556 New Member

For 5.56, the sizing die typically works fine for me. But I don't use it, I use a universal decapper because I tumble my brass in stainless pin media and it cleans the primer pocket as well. Then I size and load. It takes me a bit longer this way but I don't get all the extra crap in my dies.

3. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I've used the decapping pin on the Redding FL 30-06 sizing die to remove crimped in primers from their pockets during the sizing phase.

That having been said, I much prefer to use a universal decapping die. I happen to use the Lee universal decapper, and it works great with military crimped primers. Extremely cost effective, too. 12 or 15 bucks or so.

4. Professor

Professor New Member

I do the same thing.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've deprimed a LOT of crimped brass with sizing dies have yet to snap a decapping pin.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been using the RSBS universal decapping die for years. and not just for crimped primers.

I like to decap my brass before washing. Then resize after washing.

7. Original

Original Member

Hello Gent's, I have a device that works for BERDAN like magic, a friend builds and sells them, quite reasonable at $210 shipped , built like a Tank for Lifetimes of use, decaps on average 360 rnds an hr. has 1 use part, an small Oring at about 1000 rounds, slips on and away you go, makes ALL that Berdan Brass easy to reload, (if ya can find the components). Works on Hydraulic principle. Has 2 in .308 on hand, will make other calibers on request.

Anyway, pm me and I will get you More details. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Where would you get berdan primers?? I dont come across much berdan stuff anymore. Nothing worthy of buying a tool or hunting down exotic primers.

9. Original

Original Member

JonM, using Berdan Brass and being able to decap quickly is simply Doubling ones available brass Supply, the guy's that use this unit are mostly Avid shooters and compete in Mil. 3 gun competition.
    The Berdan primers are still not hard to get and the info comes with the unit.
    Far as I know everyone who uses the decapper is very happy and the maker has not seen even one return for any reason.

10. locutus

Do you have pictures??

11. Original

Original Member

I'll see what he has. Just to let you all know, I am Not making any $$ on this, my friend is coming out west to shoot with a bunch of us and am only helping to sell some Decappers to help fund his trip.

12. locutus

Your buddy really should get a patent on this. He could then sell the patent to a manufacturer with mass production capability, such as RCBS, Redding, Hornady, etc.

He would get a hefty royalty on every unit sold, and the mass production could cut the cost to the consumer in half.

A win-win situation.:)

www.sinclairintl.com/reload/berdan-primers-for-sale.aspx

Berdan primers

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  13. Professor

Professor New Member

Here's my thought (and I may be wrong on this, by the way). Aren't most (if not all) Berdan primers corrosive?

14. locutus

Only the older ones. Most nations stopped using corrosive primers, either Berdan or Boxer, back in the 60s and 70s. But that is pretty much irrelevant since you're supposed to clean your weapon anyway.

15. Original

Original Member

I have the info for the Berdan primer makers and pics in a whole thread on the FAL Files, would that be ok to post?

Dagammo.com , grafs.com, and Widener's may have some primers in stock, I have not checked for availability recently.

I can say the Berdan Brass is easy to get and probably Not reloaded, some of it is excellent Quality, saves a guy some $$ if ya shoot much at all.

When the Brass I go thru is worn out, it is cast into Knife Pommels and Guards.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  16. Original

Original Member

17. Original

Original Member

Check out the Files thread in previous post, you will see what the decapper can do. :)
    Primers in stock at powder valley, KV762N .308 Berdans as of yesterday.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  18. Original

Original Member

Any interest folks? the decapper will pay for itself in short order. Thanks.

19. Original

Original Member

My friend has patented the decapper and also went automatic with it, now it decaps with the push of a button, all the cases set in front of it.

This decapper was beta tested at the FAL files with the members there, I brought the knowledge here to be of help, but, no interest, thats ok, leaves more free brass for the rest of us. :)

20. locutus

Actually, I think there may be more interest than you think. But most folks are just a bit put off by the cost.

There's a glut of boxer brass in most of the popular calibers, but this kind of device would be a God's send for oddball calibers. I would love a Berdan decapper in .303 British.