Unique pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Apr 13, 2010.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm sure many of us have that oddball pistol sitting in the safe. Not necessarily rare but not a mainstream gun at all. These are the ones you've never heard of and have to go to Google (or Gunbroker) to see what they are. I was rearranging stuff last night and realized this one hadn't been out in a while so I broke it down, cleaned & oiled it. Seems like we could use a thread for oddball stuff so here's mine:

It's a Browning BDM, which stands for Browning Double (or Dual) Mode. The large slotted disk on the side of the slide is a mode selector. It will operate in normal DA/SA mode or in DAO mode depending on the mode selected. These were made by Browning in Utah (later by FN) with the intent of getting a contract with LEOs or the FBI - never happened though. Production started in 91 and they were built through 98 or 99. These are without a doubt the thinnest double-stack 9mm I've ever held. When you pick one up it's hard to believe they hold 15+1 rounds. While they are all steel, the weight is comparable to a Sig P226 which has an alloy frame.

Like a lot of DA/SA pistols (including the BHP) the trigger is a bit vague but other than that it's a good shooter. May have to take this one back to the range this week as it hasn't been shot in over a year. My son actually owns this one as his hands are a tad smaller than mine and he really likes the thin grip...

Attached Files:

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Grendel P-12. The predescessor to the Kel-Tec pistols. DAO .380 with 11 rd detachable mag.

Attached Files:

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

I have a few oddballs but my favorie is this LAR Grizzly .44 Mag. Tougher than hens teeth to find nowadays.

[​IMG]

4. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

Springfield Armory SA1911A2 SASS

It's basically a new slide assembly that installs on a standard 1911 frame that makes it a single action single shot. The silver shoe out the bottom of the magazine slot breaks the action open. This one is chambered for .308 WIN, no wonder it's been a safe queen the last several years. I'd like to try some of the managed recoil rounds since I don't reload. Nothing like carrying 150 gr. ballistic tips locked & loaded.

[​IMG]

5. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

COP 4 barrel... DOn't have one, but REALLY want one

6. LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers New Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Dad's (now mine) 1944 Miami Classic Rig.

[​IMG]

Mauser 1914 7.65x17mm (.32 ACP)

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A small nickel plated top break hammerless in .32 S&W, by the US Revolver Company (Iver Johnson second brand), Really had no particular use for it, did not even have a box of .32 S&W around- but picked it up on a $35 bid in an auction. Actually shoots quite well for a very small revolver, has more of a suggestion than a front sight- but kinda grows on you. The top break makes for a fairly fast reload.

9. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Smith and Wesson Sigma .357sig

[​IMG]

OK, maybe not so Unique, but I like to show off the Sigma.:eek::D

Stalkingbear even got to shoot it.:)

10. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

P8170011.jpg

SW 1955 .45 auto rim. Shoots .45 ACP with half moon clips. Not super rare, but I like it.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

H&R 7.65x17mm (.32 ACP)

12. GeauxTigersGuy

GeauxTigersGuy New Member

H&R Model 733 .32

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  13. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Heckler & Koch VP-70Z
    [​IMG]
    I've owned it for a very long time. It always goes bang. Dead reliable and holds 18 bullets.
    I owned a C.O.P. that was stolen along with about $10k worth of firearms from a storage locker in NM. That's $10K in 1991 dollars.
    You don't want to know what was in that footlocker...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  14. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Just remembered this one...
    Very custom Remington XP-100 in .243.
    I sold this to a man up North for $900...he got a deal. This was at least a $1500 pistol and was a tack driver. Gorgeous wood, fully worked and jeweled action and customized and tuned trigger with a special barrel made specifically for it. Hairiest trigger I have ever used, you touched it and it fired. I don't think it had 1/16 in of travel. It was breathtaking. I fired it 7 times.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I don't know how "unique" this one is, but I think it's different... and new.
    It's my new FNP-45 Tactical!

Attached Files:

16. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I dont have either but I'd like to get my hands on a Mauser C-96 "Red 9" and a Luger P-08 "Parabellum"

Mauser C-96
    [​IMG]

Luger P-08
    [​IMG]

17. wldennis

wldennis New Member

Rigarmi Brescia .25 Auto. Italian made in '63. I found it in a bag next to my great aunts bed when we cleaning out her house after she passed away a few years ago. It's a fun little gun to shoot, but the ammo is hard to find around here.

Rigarmi.jpg

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Have you tried shooting that little thing yet? 25 auto has been popping up at my local wally worlds.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My submission is pretty lame compared to what I've seem posted so far but here's mine.The most unique thing in my collection is a Smith and Wesson Model 25-2 45ACP revolver(N Frame). This particular weapon went through the John Jovino shop in NY getting the barrel cut from 6" to what you see here is nowhere near that. There was not a whole lot of these made from what I've been able to gather. Much like the Lew Horton's that look a little like this Jovino took some of these and cut the barrel, added a match trigger and hammer, and called them The Effector. I am not exactly sure how many of these were made by Jovino. I've heard from 500 to 1500. I have looked almost weekly for over a year looking for another one like this. I did see one on the gunsamerica auction and the bid closed at 1850.00. I have no desire to sell this one I just get curious. I actually got this pretty cheap in a trade a few years ago. It's amazing what you can find at a stock yard on trading day. Those old farmers get together and buy/sell/trade knives, guns, cattle(LOL), a little of everything. I happened to be there looking for case knives for my budding collection. And I happened on this. At first I thought it might be a Lew Horton but those are square but wheel guns where Jovino made them a round butt and put a set of Pachmayr grips on them.

Well.I've droned on long enough for what little I really know about the Jovino revolvers. So here ya go...
    [​IMG]

By the way, any of you with any info on these handguns feel free top add anything you know about them. I'd love to hear more about them really. It's a really fun weapon to shoot but it is pretty unusual and info is not all that easy to find.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  20. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

@SGT Calle

Nice!!!

[​IMG]