Unintentional Discharge

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by RTguy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. RTguy

RTguy New Member

This is somewhat embarrasing. My wife and I were watching television and we heard a loud noise outside. I grabbed my gun, flashlight and dog and went outside to see if someone was out there. I was at the fence around a corner investigating the area. All of a sudden, I heard scrambling behind me. I turned around and a cat came around the corner fast right at me. It startled me. I had my finger along the frame prior to this but I fired a round at the cat. Didn't hit the cat, but the incident really scared me. My kids were sleeping close by.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?

2. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Mate this is a forum for firearm enthusiasts; not for trigger-happy, gun-toting, redneck hicks.. As such, I highly doubt you'll be able to find anyone who has been in the same predicament as you, much less someone who will be willing to admit it in front of responsible gun owners. I sincerely hope that you have learnt from what can only be described as a tragedy averted and that you seek some professional training in the handling of firearms in the near future. Good thing it wasn't one of your kids that was behind you...

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Thank God it wasn't worse! :eek:
    If your finger was running along the side of the frame how that booger hook get inside the trigger guard? :confused:
    I'm glad no one was hurt. You should take time to get more acquainted with your weapon and how to use in in a high stress situation. Training is the one thing we can do to help us be able to do the right thing at the right time. Also make a plan so you will always know where the others are in the house in a situation like this. Like round up the family and get them in a single location and not come out till you get them...Or whatever works best for your particular family. Right now though it appears none of this has been addressed.

Not trying to jump on you or anything..Just hoping you learn from this.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This thread is titled "Unintentional Discharge". When you pull the trigger, it is intentional. I imagine adrenal can get pumping and one can over react but this could have been a very dangerous situation. I am very new to guns and I have a lot to learn. I am not here to judge but I know my knowledge and comfort with firearms is not strong so I don't put myself in situations with a loaded gun where I think I might make a poor decision. I'm just glad no one got hurt. :eek:

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

It was unintentional, but negligent is THE word.

When I was in my early teens, I had a thing for dragging my finger on the trigger when the gun was on safe. Did it when I was 15, on a rem 700 in 243 while walking for deer. Fired straight up in the air, lost my chance at some does bedded in front of me. Habit broken immediately.

My right ear constantly rings loudly, and I estimate 30% hearing loss due to an AR being negligently discharged about 3' from my head. It was pointed in a safe direction, but my ears don't know it.

They thought the magazine was empty.

As has been suggested, go find some instruction or some classes.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Get some training and thank God you didn't hurt anyone or anything. I think drumjunkie covered it well.

What kind of weapon are you carrying?

7. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Finger off trigger unless in grave pearl. At the very least you need a refresher course in safe firearms handling.

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

QFT Negligent Discharge.

RTGuy: Some people shouldn't own guns. Maybe you're one of em.

9. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

RTGuy
    You appear to be new to guns. Situation that you were not trained to handle. Accident and nerves. Nobody dead or injured. Enough said.

Get proper training fast.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Welcome RTguy and after this post, I hope you stick around!

As you can see, we take firearms safety seriously around here. Safety should be your Job 1.

You should go to the Introductions Section and tell us a little about yourself.

Please understand that the comments made here are for you and your loved ones' safety. Do not be offended by them but learn from this experience.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

No. I would have hit the cat. :rolleyes: Seriously, more firearms safe use, practice and training is your friend. Every time you pick up a weapon and possibly intend to use it, there will be that same emotional adrenalin rush. Learn to control it, work past it, or there may be unwanted consequences in the future.

Please take a few firearm safety classes, or continue with more follow-up, if you have not done so. And practice, train, and practice. Hell, you are in Arizona, they have the most gun-friendly firearm possession and carry laws in the country!

12. RTguy

RTguy New Member

After thinking more on what happened yesterday, what happened was reflexive. I never aimed at the cat and made a conscious decision to fire. I was surprised that a round fired. I read an article that said when you are startled your body tenses up and you tend to clench your hands. lots of people have fired weapons unintetionally this way. Even though my finger was on the frame, it naturally slid down into a clenching motion, sliding down into the tigger. The gun was pointed down, and the bullet hit about a foot in front of me on the concrete.

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

RTguy,

You are right that when you are startled your body tenses up and if your finger is on the trigger you can have a negligent discharge. Now, understand that from my experience over the past 30+ years as a LEO firearms instructor I believe your finger had to have been on the trigger and not on the frame as you believe because your finger would have pushed into the frame and not slid down on the trigger as the startle reflex is to grip. What probable happened was that you were nervous, scared, and anticipating a person prowling around. You probable had your finger in the trigger without realizing it as it seems natural for most people who have little training tend to do and is almost guaranteed to happen in a stressful situation. I would suggest that next time if the situation allows and is outside that you call the police and report an intruder, secure your doors and by all means arm yourself but stay inside and wait. Going outside and searching for a intruder is placing yourself in a situation that unless trained to do it is very dangerous. I don’t know how much firearms training you have had but I would take a class or two just to be safe. Hang in there and understand that this situation can be a very valuable lesson that could have gone very bad very easily.

Stick around, we can be hard but also very friendly. ;)

Scubie

14. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I don't mind admitting when I have made a mistake, and I think it is too bad for people who can learn from mistakes that you seem to mind.
    Once I was messing around with an old .22 rimfire rifle, unbeknownst to me, the firing pin had rusted in place and when I racked a round into the chamber the gun discharged. Fortunately I was pointing the gun at the floor/wall in the corner of the room & there were no injuries. Did the Tempe Police respond from the shot you fired?

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Sh*t happens. But when sh*t happens with a firearm you need an R Lee Ermy 3-way with him screaming in both ears and between your eyes so close you can smell the potato chips he ate last month and feel his spittle on your face. Then you need a 400lb gorilla to bootstomp your a$$.

That way you remember.

RTGuy needs to take some heat for his dumba$$ mistake. No mercy for N/Ds.

16. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

He may still be recyclable, if he follows through and takes the suggestions he has been given and sticks around and absorbs some of the knowledge and experience that spews forth here for just the asking. :cool:

Especially if he quick times it over to the INTRODUCTION section and tells us a little about himself and his gun likes. ;)

17. jca1

jca1 New Member

I have a question: What is "grave pearl"?

18. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

I had a .223 land one inch to the right of my right foot once, I made my mind ever since, a loaded round is a fired round, that's all.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

where did you get the dog holster?? is it a shoulder rig, in the pants or belt holster??

[​IMG]