Unfired Round

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by njjohnson, Mar 12, 2010.

1. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader to deer hunt with this fall and I have a burning question. What is the protocol for when the round does not fire? Do you try to get the round out someway or put another cap on and give it another try?

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

There is a tool available for unloading muzzle loaders. It is powered by a co2 like a bb gun uses. Probably a good investment. I am not an expert on black powder. Well, I don't know if I would say I am an expert at anything. But the co2 unloader looks like a nice idea. Perhaps some other people on the forum have experience with it?

3. unknwnshooter

unknwnshooter New Member

You have several options available to you in such situations. If it is a caplock or an inline, you can always try putting on another cap, or 209 primer whichever the case may be, and try to fire the weapon again (I would try several time as a matter of fact). If you are shooting a flintlock, prime the pan and try again. As was mentioned in the last post you can use a CO2 dis charger, and last but not least you can use at tool referred to as a bullet or ball puller. It fits into the end of your ramrod or cleaning rod and has a screw at the end which you shove down the barrel and screw into the ball or bullet and then pull it out manually. But please make sure the weapon is not primed or has a cap in place, wouldn't want an accidental discharge, now would we. I hope that this post has been helpful and "Welcome to World of Black Powder Shooting ". But be forewarned, it is ADDICTIVE !.

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

+1 That's your answer

5. njjohnson

njjohnson New Member

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When someone quotes and puts a +1 that means that they agree with the person they are quoting.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Another +1. Good answer. On occasion, I HAVE removed the nipple, dribbled in a few grains of ffG, replaced nipple and fired.

There are two kinds of black powder shooters- those that HAVE forgotten the powder before loading a ball, and those that WILL.:eek:

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While I know squat about rifles and even less about BP stuff, I do like to read about it and this was a question I had wondered about as well...

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Kinda like the advice I got when I first got behind the wheel of a car. You will have an accident, it's just a matter of when.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

With an in-line, if the round never fires, you can take it apart. Remove the breech plug and the powder will come out. Use your ramrod to push out the bullet and sabot. I would keep trying to fire it though.

Everytime I take out my rifle, I use the ramrod to check to see if it is still loaded. I scribed a line on the ramrod that indicates an empty barrel. For safety reasons the manual for the rifle suggests firing a primer before even loading to make sure there is no charge and to clear the nipple.

11. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

There is another way if the load is realy stuck and that is to put a grease nipple where your cap nipple goes and use grease and hydrolicly (sp) push out the load. This is kinde of a last resort thing but it will work.
    F.K.

12. Jamesaritchie

Jamesaritchie New Member

The first thing you do is wait, with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I've seen powder cook awfully slow when it's damp.

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

This is called a "hang fire". As stated above, point the firearm in a safe direction for at least 2 min. if not longer. Try to recharge and if that does not work and to be on the safe side, pour non flammable liquid down the barrel to dampen the powder and then pull the projectile.

14. skip

skip New Member

I haven't forgotten the powder yet, but once I was talking while loading (sort of like driving while on a cell phone) and I loaded 2 balls. The effect was similar to a mule kick, but not as much fun.

15. skip

skip New Member

I've removed a load a few times with a rubber-tipped air nozzle held tight against the nipple. Usually, though, I leave my compressor behind when I'm out in the woods. In those situations I pull the nipple and pour a little powder down the nipple hole (tap it a few times to help it feed as far in as possible, and don't fill it up into the threaded portion where the nipple fits), recap and fire.

If it comes down to pulling the bullet, I would recommend pouring water or such into the nipple hole instead of (or in addition to) down the barrel.

16. brandy

brandy New Member

You can do that with

any muzzle loader rifle as all have threaded breech plugs.

The CO2 tools work very well and avoid you having to clean an unfired gun (as in coming in from the hunt and not wanting to leave the gun loaded)

The "worm" method also works fine as it has for centuries.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Trying to remove the breech plug from a traditional muzzleloader is not advisable. It is extremely difficult to do and will even void a TC warranty to do so.

18. Jamesaritchie

Jamesaritchie New Member

That's a new one on me, though I've never owned a TC. Are they made differently? Unless it's seized, a breech plug is just screw in and screw out on every smoke pole I've used. I don't know how the manufacturer could even tell it had been removed.

But I've sure pulled a bunch of breech plugs without any trouble, unless it was seized. And if it is seized, you should definitely remove it before things go from bad to worse.

I was, in fact, taught to remove and clean it regularly because it will seize if you don't.

But it looks like TC has solved the problem with this rifle: Encore Pro Hunter - Thompson/Center