Unexpected benefits of retirement

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Chainfire, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

JTJ, do you turn wood? I have never used a lathe, but I am thinking about it.

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Daust,
    I feel your pain, but haven't made the great leap to discard a semi-working tape deck or other ancient technology.

I have two Elk-Echo (Japanese) Guitar amps from my days in the mid-60s that powered my R&R band back then (in my early teens). They paid for themselves and were great amps; tubes with a beautiful sound one can't find with today's digital tech. I'm sure the tubes are shot, and probably only available from Russia or India. Sorta want to get them going again for no particular reason. Perhaps some day...I fortunately have room to keep them for the nonce. They can go with my 1980s Fender Rhodes Electric piano (a bit beat up from multiple moves but still works), my Japanese electric guitars, and will work with my 1980s Yamaha electronic piano.

If I ever get the upstairs to my Man-cave finished, they will all find a home there and I'll seek out the means to get them all working. They'll get hooked up to my '80s cassette decks, Sansui and Pioneer receivers, and my 3-4 Reel-Reels.

Probably won't happen, though, and they'll all wind up with 1-800-GOT-JUNK when my nephew has to clear out things after I depart this life for one far better.

3. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

One great benefit of being retired is never having to set the alarm clock!!

RKB, RJF22553 and AZdave like this.
  4. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I quit setting an alarm several years before I retired. I was up before the alarm, and it annoyed Mama. Hell I am still up in plenty of time to go to the office and arrive before 8:00.

Except I am not going to go into the office.

W ish I could turn off that internal alarm.

RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  5. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

you never learn how to turn off that internal clock, you just learn how to ignore it! :D

boatme98 likes this.
  7. Chainfire

My internal alarm clock is located in my bladder. It is something that will not be ignored.

buckhuntr, Dearhunter, RKB and 5 others like this.
  8. Dallas53

lucky you! my bladder is tied to an egg timer! :eek::p:D

goes off about every five minutes it seems like! o_O

Good Morning Mr. Chainfire. :)

boatme98 likes this.
  9. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

Word to the wise: the high level alarm in your bladder does NOT come with a snooze button...

buckhuntr, RKB, RJF22553 and 4 others like this.
  10. Dallas53

it does if you wear Depends! :p:D

11. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Dallas, let's not get personal!

While I never set an alarm anymore, there are times I will set up a timer for 2-3 hours after I get up in the middle of the night, can't get back to sleep quickly and surf the web for a while, then go back to sleep. Need time in the AM before doing morning chores to drink coffee and spend some quality time on the "throne"...

12. Chainfire

Just sign the stocks over to me. I will take care of them for you. I will reinvest them in my bait fund.

AZdave, Balota and Dallas53 like this.
  13. Chainfire

Congrats Mouser. That feeling of peace and calm is nice, isn't it? From 10:00 until 2:00 today, I taught my son's fiance the ccw course. It was a lot of fun, she was a good sport. It was the last of my NRA packets and I will not be reordering. This evening, right before sunset, I walked around the place photographing and smelling flowers. I wish I could send you all the smell of honeysuckle in the still of the late afternoon.

DSCN5637.JPG

Attached Files:

AZdave, Mouser and Dallas53 like this.
  14. Chainfire

And a belated good morning to you Mr. Dallas. I had a doctor convince me that if he did a button turp on me, that my constant peeing would go away and I would (his words) pee like a horse on a flat rock.

He was a lying SOB. The button turp ruined what little prostate I had left.

RKB, RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  15. Dallas53

my honeysuckle is starting to bloom and i can get faint smell of it! should be much stronger by the end of this week. i love the smell of the honeysuckle in the springtime! :)

Mouser likes this.
  16. RKB

RKB Active Member

A work acquaintance had one, a lot of pain for a couple weeks, then it settled down and worked well. Within a year all his symptoms returned, worse than before. I was recommended for one, refused it, stayed on my meds, my symptoms are nearly gone.

17. Chainfire

Mine was more painful than being snakebit. (and snakebite is quite painful, I know) The turp left me with nerve damage, and shooting blanks. It did not help the frequent urination. I should have sued the doctor, but I did not want to add two years of stress to the damage. My family practice doctor told me that the plasma cutter had gone out of fashion, that they discovered that they could do more harm than good...duh...

RKB likes this.
  18. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

the electrolytic capacitors need replacing. they always do. somebody somewhere has a list.

jigs-n-fixture and Dallas53 like this.
  19. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

wife tells me to sit down to pee.
    thought I'd share this with you.
    SIT DOWN to PEE.jpg

20. Dallas53

i about fell out of my chair laughing Mr. FormerCav! that's just too funny! :p:D:)