Undecided on a carry weapon

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ChickyD, Nov 22, 2010.

1. ChickyD

ChickyD New Member

I need a little guidance and I want an oppinion besides my husband and Dad. I am female and I am looking for a good carry weapon. I currently carry the Ruger LCP and I like it, however I dont feel completely comfortable shooting it because of its size. I find it difficult to really get a grip on the gun, that makes me uncomfortable. I have a walther p22 for back yard shooting and I am in love with it. Thats brings me to the PK 380.. any feedback on this gun would be great! How bad is the recoil..ect.. It is an expensive gun and I am not going to go on a massive gun search for one until I know EVERYTHING about it. If anyone has shot a p22 and a PK 380.. is the grip as similar as they say it is?? I have also been looking at a few Lady Smiths..

Just any feedback for a good carry weapon I would love to hear, but I am really curious about the PK.

Thanks!!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My wife loves her P22 so I bought her a PK380 and she likes that one as well. It is softer shooting than the LCP as it's larger and affords a better full hand grip. The tiny guns, while being really easy to conceal, are difficult to shoot well. My normal carry is a Sig P238 as I value ease of concealment more than raw power...

3. ChickyD

ChickyD New Member

I carry a BIG purse.. an advantage that guys don't have. =)

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Purse carry is not a great idea - purses are targets for a snatch & grab and then they have your gun...

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

There are carry purses

Designer Concealed Carry Purse - Glacier - Magills.com

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

If I were a woman, I would want one that I could get my hand into without too much trouble.

As far as a carry pistol, choose one that is comfortable and 9mm or larger. A .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, etc. Be sure if it is a semi-auto you can rack the slide easily. Revolvers are a good choice, too. Shoot 'em, handle them, make sure they will do the job and you are confident you can use it if necessary.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. utf59

utf59 New Member

I highly recommend this site: Cornered Cat. Its author is a woman with great insight into firearms from a woman's point of view. Browse around the whole site; there's lots of good info.

7. Greebo

Greebo New Member

I have to say the Glock 19 is ideal for me, it's large enough to have a decent weight to counter the recoil (which as a 9mm isn't that bad to begin with) but compact enough to comfortably sit in a decent IWB holster (I personally use Fist Inc Kydex iwb). For me that is the perfect carry weapon

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

my wife chose the bersa thunder 7 rounder. i have a pair of thunder plus 15 rounders as well. its basically a better version of the PPK/s. but compairing my colt new agent to the ppk/s style the new agent in 45ACP is easier to control and has a better amount of grip. it also comes in 9mm. i would recomend finding a range that rents guns even if you have to drive a bit and try before you buy.

9. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Since you gravitate towards Walthers, before you commit you better take a look at the Walther PPS 9mm. It's dimensions are comparable to the PK380 but it's thinner. A lot of people are liking it a lot... About $200 more but it's 9mm!

10. Catfish

Catfish New Member

If you would consider a wheel gun take a look at the Lady Smith. It`s a 5 shot 38 sp revolver.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want to stay with 380, check out the SW Bodyguard and the SIG 238. I shot the Sig last week and it is much easier to control than my P3AT Kel Tec or the LCP while still being small. The SW Body guard has a built in laser and has a better grip than the LCP or P3AT but I have not shot it.
    The Walther pistols have a great reputation but dont discount the Bersa Thunder. Not as nicely buit but they have made some design improvements over the PPK and have a good reputation and are cheaper. They are DA/SA.
    My wife does not like the double action trigger pull of revolvers or DA/SA autos. She took my Glock 19. Look at the Ruger SR9C if you want to jump up to the size of a Glock. Recoil is very manageable with these guns.
    Look at the Kahr Pistols. I am still kicking myself for passing up a great deal on a Kahr at the last gun show. The are well made but a little pricier. Their CW9 is a little lower priced and an excellent gun.

12. adjohns3

adjohns3 New Member

My wife loves her Ruger .38 LCR with CT's.

She loves the laser and believes a lot of that line of thinking that says if you were ever in a tough spot and put that red dot on somebody, they just might take flight, not fight.

The gun has great feel and very comfortable to shoot everything except +p and that is a little spicy for her liking.

Go to ranges/clubs and rent guns...try a LOT of them before you decide. Find exactly what you want and what feels good in your hand.

Good luck with your search...shoot SAFELY.

:cool:

13. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

I always carry my LCP with the 10-rd. ProMag which provides much more of a grip. I can easily conceal-carry this using an ordinary in-waist clip holster and any overhanging shirt. It would probably work fine in a purse too. Whether or not you get another gun to carry, I suggest you might as well get a 10-rd. ProMag for your LCP to have on hand as well. Mine has been reliable... Like it a lot.