Undecided - Glock 21 or Glock 30?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by JonathanSQ, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JonathanSQ

JonathanSQ New Member

Hi all,

Abit new here... I tried to search for this particular question but did not find
    anything so I figured I would post and see if anybody has any opinions.
    I'm still waiting for the next trip to my local range to try out both the
    21 and 30 but figured I would also ask some of the people here.

Currently I own a Glock 19. As it was my first gun, I decided to go with
    the 9mm round and I picked the Glock as I liked the way it felt in my hand
    and how it shoot versus a few other guns I tried (Beretta, Springfield, etc.)

I am looking to go to a .45ACP size round but cannot decide between the
    21 and the 30. I would like to think the 30 is probably going be closer to my
    current Glock 19 in the way of size, etc. but I am wondering how big of a
    difference is in "perceived recoil" between the Glock 21 and 30 vs. my 19.

Also another considering factor is I am getting my Concealed Weapons Permit
    shortly after Christmas so I am also looking as far as how easy it is to
    conceal either weapon.

Any opinions from someone who has experience with these
    guns and can compare them would be most helpful :)

** On a side note, I should say that I have tried the Glock 17 and 26 when I was
    deciding which 9mm to purchase. The 17 felt slightly too large in my hands and the
    26 was uncomfortably small in my hands.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. COLMayhem

COLMayhem New Member

If you are looking at CCW carry...have you considered the G36? It would carry much more like a G19 and shoots like a dream. The G21 is pretty dang big for everyday carry...the G30 is a heavy brick....what are your other opinions - or are you set on a Glock?

3. JonathanSQ

JonathanSQ New Member

I am not dead set on getting another Glock. It is simply a preference
    due to the fact I am comfortable with the ease of use, disassemble and clean.

I am open to any suggestions for other types of .45ACP handguns.
    I would prefer a double action though.

4. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

If the 17 felt big, the 21 will be a monster. Even the SF version is huge. This is just based on your assessment that the 17 felt big. As far as recoil goes, you really should shoot the weapon before you purchase it. If you can't, then at least shoot some .45 polymer weapons so you know what you're getting into. I would love to get a 21 but it's just way too big for me so I'm opting for the XDm .45. I'm not endorsing Springfield over Glock as I own both and love my 17 and 22. It's just that the grip ergonomics are better for me in the .45 caliber offering of the Springfield over the Glock. S&W's M&P .45 is also a gun one especially since you can put on a smaller backstrap. I have one and it's just a bit bigger, grip wise, than my Glock 17.

5. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Check out the 36. I got one a while back and love it. Great conceal pistol.

6. bowserb

bowserb New Member

+1 on the SA XDm-45.

First of all, the G19 is the absolute perfect one-gun solution to concealed carry, home security, target shooting. It has just the right balance of barrel length, mag capacity, and overall gun size. I know all this, because I have one and carried it for several years. Then I decided I wanted a .45. Well, I live in Texas, so what could I do?

I considered a 1911 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is tradition. However, it was a difficult carry and limited mag. I looked at the 45 caliber glocks. The big one was just too big to carry--a brick with a handle. The small one was just too small to control. Then I tried on a Springfield Armory XDm-45. OMG. I shot that gun better the first time than the G19 after years of practice. Carried in a Blade Tech UCH, it was noticable for the first hour or so, then I forgot I had moved from the G19.

The XDm-45 is sleeker, and it has a welcome grip safety. I've had XD's in the past, and they were very reliable--as in Never Failed to do Anything. The XDm has a bunch of upgrades that largely sound like Ad-speak to me, but the thing is way too much fun to shoot. And SA has a deal on til 11/30: Three free mags (in addition to the two with the gun) plus an extra mag holster free.

All that said, the Glock is probably the most reliable gun you'll find, but that big Glock 45 is just ugly and chunky. A big Baby Huey of guns!

I carry the XDm-45 every day, and I look forward to the range all the time.
    Bill

7. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

I would go with the G30 over the G21 if im carrying. The recoil is not bad at all just like all .45acp's. Its a little more than a 9mm but not much. You know how the .40 has that snap feel? the .45 is more of an push back then a muzzle flip. I shot a G30 yesterday and shot it better than my G23, G30 on my wish list. The G36 would work too if you dont mind compromising ammo. The G36 is only 6+1 i believe, the G30 is 9+1, and the 21 is 12+1(dont quote me on that) I do know the 30 can take the 21 mag.

8. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Keep us updated on you decision!!

9. JonathanSQ

JonathanSQ New Member

I plan to try and shoot a few different .45ACPs this weekend at the local
    range. I did the same thing before deciding on getting the Glock 19 originally.
    On the same basis though their ammo is expensive as crap so I wanted to
    get some ideas of what to try to focus on trying. Trying to keep the cost
    down on the "trial shooting".

Based on your comment I am going to probably skip looking at the 21.
    I just didn't feel like I had a firm grip / good control over the 17 when I tried it.
    I liked the XD 9mm compact so I will have to try out the XDm .45ACP.

SA? Not familiar with them so if you can point me in their direction
    that would be most helpful :) Also how ease is the XDm to disassemble
    and clean compared to the Glock? Ditto for making upgrades if I choose to.

That doesn't sound too bad. My biggest concern is how well I'll be able
    to handle the recoil if it is in a smaller package, as I know larger frames
    equal less perceived recoil felt. That being said, I did go shooting with my
    roommate's dad and his CZ .40 (compact frame, I believe) didn't feel any
    different then shooting my G19. Slightly more of a "snap" but as far as
    any feelings of not being able to control the recoil, etc.-- it was same as my G19.

Ultimately I will probably carry my G19 and the main reason for looking into
    getting a .45ACP is because I enjoy camping all over the Southeast and
    just want to know I have the stopping power if absolutely needed.

I'll keep everybody updated as I narrow down the list, etc.
    Probably won't be purchasing anything til end of next month or so
    but I'll post an update after a trip to the range.

Thank you everybody for your responses :D

10. bowserb

bowserb New Member

SA=Springfield Armory. If you looked at an XD, then you know SA. The XDm is their new line with match grade barrel, short reset trigger, improved grip and slide texturing, and some other stuff.

However, if the G17 and G21 grips were too big, the Springfield Armory XDm-45 probably will be too, although the XDm comes with three interchangeable backstraps, allowing some adjustment in grip size.

If grip size is an issue, you might want to look at a 1911. Colt, Kimber, Sig, SA, Ruger, S&W, Taurus... They all have at least one 1911, some in less than full size. You might also look into other single-stack .45's, although I can't think of one right now. If this is not for concealed carry, I would be inclined to pass on the compact models, though.

11. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I would def try shooting the g30. I have one that i carry alot i have 2 different holsters one iwb one owb. It shoots very nice not bad recoil at all and feels great in my hands. I have shot the xdm and xdm comp 45, not impressed at all in my book. They both felt very cheap in comparison to the glock, the slide felt like it slammed back like it was bottoming out against the frame. It was actually kinda scary like it was gonna break off and hit it me. Im not trying slam xd guns i actually prefer the xd40 over the glock 40 but i feel the glock 45s are better than the xd 45s. Oh and the g30 is a 10+1. I will admit once loaded it is a bit heavy but i think its kinda expected with 11 roumds of 45 lol

12. JonathanSQ

JonathanSQ New Member

Sorry lol "SA" and "Springfield Armory" just didn't click there :)

As far as the compact size, I'm more looking that way simply based on how
    the full size 9mm guns felt when I was deciding which 9mm to buy. I
    want to make sure it feels comfortable and secure in my hands when I fire it.

But hopefully this weekend I'll be able to go to the range. Just not 100%
    sure at the moment due to work (insane 60-70hr/wks right now)...

13. JonathanSQ

JonathanSQ New Member

Okay so I finally went to the range.
    I tried out a few different .45ACP models:

• Glock 21
    • Glock 30
    • Springfield XDm 45 (Compact)
    • Colt 1911 (not sure exact model?)
    • Hi Point .45ACP (Compact)
    • H&K .45ACP (not sure of model? Compact size)

I liked the Springfield best, closely followed by the Glock 30.
    I wasn't planning on buying anything but they happened to have
    a Glock 30 that just came in as a trade. Barely used, no external
    marks. Inside looked brand new. Slight wear on the top of the barrel
    where the slide meets it.

End result is I got my range visit free, gun rental fee waived, the
    Glock 30, two mags, Glock case, cable lock, speed loader, and my
    next range visit free. Oh and $480 for the Glock :D

Later on I may trade it for the Springfield but it was too sweet
    to pass up (range fees + rental = $50 alone).

14. COLMayhem

COLMayhem New Member

Congrats on your purchase! Don't worry about trading in this G30 for another .45....simply buy another .45!!! Great price for your gun - and that was very cool of the range/store to comp you for your fees. Excellent job!