Firearms Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I am in the market for a pistol, I just recently moved to Oceanside California.....and its full of gangbangers...and meth fiends. I want to buy a Sig pistol but when I went to the gun store I was told I would be charged for a background check if I failed it. my question is this...what is the criteria for a pistol purchase in California......I have misdemeanor charges in the past but no felonies...will Assault and Battery convictions prevent me from purchasing a pistol...?? thanks for your help......
Kelly 123

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read my reply on your other post . PM me if you have questions

·
Registered
225 Posts
Domestic violence

How long can they hold a domestic violence charge against you and keep you from owning a fire arm, seems like there has got to be some kind of limit?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Any conviction lasts "forever" on an NCIC record check. I have seen convictions from the early seventies on record checks, felonies as well as misdemeanors. If entered properly (I didn't say rightiously or fairly) a domestic assault conviction will show up specifically as a domestic assault if it occurred after the state adopted a seperate statute specifically for domestic assault. In Vermont, the statute was written into the Vermont Statutes Annotated in 1993. Prior to that, they were just listed as "assaults" without any identifier for the domestic aspect.
I think as long as the charge still shows up on a record check, a person would be prohibited from owning a gun no matter how long ago it happened. The only way to remove it is to petition for the charge to be expunged from their record, which would also remove it and any information relevant to it from any and all files pertaining to the charge including officer reports and case files held in house by the arresting agency.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you might be able to keep a blackpowder 6 shooter .45 in the house check and see if the muzzle loaders are exempt.
While you are at it see if you can get records expunged

1 - 7 of 7 Posts