Unbelievable outrage!

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by BB98338, Dec 16, 2011.

1. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler was arrested at an airport in New York City on Thursday after he attempted to check-in a locked gun box holding his Glock 27 pistol and ammunition to a Delta Air Lines ticket agent.

According to authorities and his attorney, Meckler, 49, holds a concealed-carry permit for the Glock 27 pistol at home in California, but not in New York where he was attempting to board the plane. As a result, he was arrested and charged with a felony.

“Before leaving home, passengers should acquaint themselves with the weapon laws of the jurisdiction that they are visiting and comply with any and all legal requirements if they choose to travel with a weapon,” Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said.

“Otherwise, they may find themselves being arrested and charged with a felony – as is what occurred in this case,” he said.

Attorney Brian Stapleton of Goldberg, Segalla, LLP said Meckler was only attempting to follow TSA rules for checking in a firearm when he was arrested.

“While in temporary transit through the state of New York in possession of an unloaded, lawful firearm that was locked in a TSA-approved safe, he legally declared his possession of the firearm in his checked baggage at the ticket counter as required by law and in a manner approved by TSA and the airline, yet was arrested by port authority for said possession,” Stapleton said.

Meckler was arraigned Thursday in Queens Criminal Court and charged with second degree criminal possession of a weapon, a Class C felony.

Meckler was released Thursday. He has a court date set for Jan. 12, 2012.

Brown said Meckler, a well-known person in the tea party movement, told authorities he keeps the pistol with him because he gets threats.

Read more: Tea Party | Concealed Carry | Felony | The Daily Caller

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Get used to it. This is the direction we are heading with a quickness.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NYC has been in violation of the Federal "Peaceable Journey Act" since it was passed. In case of this law, no state or city law may override it. I am not real sure that this may not be a case to get the illegal NYC ordinance into court.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I refuse to spend $1 in NYC. I will not give them any of my tourist dollars.

I hope this is a move to get the Draconian NYC gun laws overturned. Only in a place like that can a city have felonious ordinances. Giving that much power to a municipal government that cannot even manage its own finances is rediculous

5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The NRA used to warn about this. It's been happening at LaGuardia, JFK and Newark for many years. The lawyer flew into NY City with a checked gun in his baggage, stayed a night or two and then tried to check the gun when he left the city. He was in violation of NY law the moment he took possession of his bag at LaGuardia. The peaceable journey act does not come into play here because the guy stayed overnight in NY City.

The Queens DA has wide latitude in prosecuting these airport gun cases. You don't hear about most of them because the violator pleads guilty to a misdemeanor and is let go with a fine. This guy should get a good NY lawyer, be contrite and play ignorant of NY gun law: Otherwise he will be found guilty of a felony. If found guilty of a felony in New York, CA will pull his license to practice law.

Criminal Possession of a Weapon in New York Gun Cases including Queens Brooklyn Bronx and Manhattan Illegal Weapons

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  6. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I'm GLAD I dont live in that RAT HOLE ANYMORE!

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This is why HB 45, IIRC, was so important in Florida this year.

It provided teeth for prior laws which had no enforcement statutes,

and were therefore being ignored.

If the Constitution, BOR, and laws like Peaceable Journey could be readily

enforced, harassment like this would not only stop, laws like HR 822

would be uncalled for...

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

Brother thats exactly how I feel I vote with my wallet!

9. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I was born and raised in New York City. And I will say this much about their mayor and law enforcement.
    They would rather, if not willingly, allow for their law-abiding citizens to be killed by muggers, burglars,
    thug-wanna-be's, and drug addicts then for the citizens to turn it around and defend themselves with a firearm.
    And woe to those caught with one on them or in their homes. That city with all its corruptions both politically
    and in their 'ephemeral laws' suck big time!

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Seems like an open and shut case of police enabling criminals on purpose

to me...

11. orangello

orangello New Member

First, dude must be well-liked and squeaky clean to get a carry permit in commiefornia. Second, does anyone else think maybe he did this as a set up to attack the NYC law? If so, bravo to him for taking the hit on our behalf; if not, he had one heckuva brain fart.

12. alsaqr

13. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Not unbelievable, not the first time, not the last time.

The guys an idiot for not educating himself on the local law.

14. bkt

bkt New Member

You're correct - NYS has no reciprocity with any other state.

15. bkt

bkt New Member

Does anyone understand what actually happened? It says he was traveling and had declared the handgun, but that *he* checked it in while in NYC. When waiting for a connecting flight during a layover, don't airlines handle transitioning baggage from one plane to another? If it was returned to him, what the heck was he supposed to do other than declare it?

Was he living in NYC at the time and (illegally) brought his handgun with him from CA? That would certainly get him busted. Passing through, he should be covered. Making a stop in which he leaves the airport with the handgun is a no-no.

16. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Interesting idea... I almost hope it is; otherwise he is probably kicking himself...

17. Millwright

Millwright Member

I don't think this is the case in this instance, bkt ! IOW, I suspect Meckler's "journey" (ISFA an aircraft), was originating at LGA. OTOH, I suspect his attorneys will argue his "journey" began from a reciprocal (i.e. "legal") state and was planned to terminate in another.

I also anticipate the NYC prosecutor to argue his federal protections under the "journey" aspects of fedral law don't apply to his (presummably) ground transit of NYS/NYC jurisdictions. This is an old story to many hunters that have been victimized by NJ, NYS/NYC, and CT enroute to hunting camps in NE ! For many years "hunting season" had an entirely different meaning to the NJSP patrolling I-80 thanks to NJ's absurd gun laws !

IAC, Mr. Meckler starts out with two strikes in this instance. He's a spokesperson for a very unpopular political movement, the TEA party. NYC/NYS - at least in the metro areas - is rabidly Democratic. And NYC's mayor, Bloomberg, is rabidly anti-private firearm possession as well. In most other instances I'd say the prosecutors would be willing to let this pass with a misdemeanor plea and a hefty fine. In this one, given its national prominence, I'd say they'll go for the jugular; a felony, meaning Mr. Meckler faces lifetime prohibition of ownership/possession of firearms. >MW

18. alsaqr

Nevada county, CA suspended the lawyers concealed carry permit.

Sheriff's Office suspends Meckler's concealed-weapon permit | TheUnion.com

19. Millwright

Millwright Member

Well we can expect Meckler's attorney's are going make the "peaceable journey" argument ! Just as NYS prosecutors are going to make the "illegal possession inside NYS borders" argument !

In some ways its an old tale. Lots of out state hunters enroute to NE have been victimized in the same manner when stopped in NJ, NYS/NYC ! In NJ "hunting season" - at least along I-80 - had/has a whole different conotation than common acceptance for decades. But I suspect Mr. Meckler is going to face a far higher hurdle than most violators due to his association with the TEA party ! >MW