unavailable gun parts that need making

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by rjmorel, May 14, 2010.

1. rjmorel

rjmorel New Member

With the economy being what it is , I would like to know of "popular" gun parts that are not available, metal or plastic that some of us with machining skills could manufacture on the side. America was once a leading manufacturing country and most of it all started in someone's garage. So if some of us are slow business wise in our shops this could be work for us to do. Aftermarket replacement parts. What think ye all? Legalities?? Thanks, rj

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Avoid copyright infringement (if applicable). Some parts have to be made due to age of firearm, closed manufacturer, etc... Sometimes the homemade part allows the firearm to "fit" better or function better. Making a firearm, changing a firearm to NFA, full auto parts without the proper papers is definitely a no-no.

3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Making them is one thing. Making them to sell and doing it cheaply enough to make them sell and still make enough to keep doing it is another thing.

4. rjmorel

rjmorel New Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I was also thinking of consumable parts like buffers, firing pins, ejecters mainly "out of production" parts that if made would keep someones favorite gun going. rj

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a gander at e-gunparts.com. There are a lot of things that are no longer available. If you can get specs, then there may be a good market.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Buttplates. Pure plastic injection molding, but an easily damaged part, and one that can be a buoger to find on older rifles. Not a regulated part like a receiver, no proof testing like a barrel- cheap to make, easy to market.

SWSinTN likes this.
  7. superc

superc Member

Reliably working Colt .32 magazines. Lots of Colt 32 type 'looks-like' magazines being made and sold today, but none that actually work well in a Colt 32. Colt had a secret to making them, but the clone guys haven't learned the 'how-to' yet.

8. Bob Hostetter

Bob Hostetter New Member

Do you have a CNC shop?

9. jca1

jca1 New Member

Years ago I had a .22 rifle that my grandpa gave me. a piece in the bolt broke and none were available. I would have paid a premium to someone like you who could have made me one.

I think this market must exist and I wish you luck.

10. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

LC Smith fireing pin bushings?

One part that must be very rare is the fireing pin bushings for old LC Smiths. I have one that needs both but they are scarce. That would be a start but I don't know how you would determine the need to manufacture these--Just a thought--Hmmmmmmm.

11. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

Mini 14 and Mini 30 Firing pins and other Ruger restricted parts.

John K

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Crack shot 26 barrels. Most are in poor shape borewise. I picked up an old barrel from a pile of about 200. Icut the reciever end off with a hacksaw, Spent 2 days filing a channel for the extractor and a dovetail for mounting hole for mounting to the reciever. and making an extractor. With the right equipment I would estimate about 1-2 hours work. I paid $10 for the barrell I started with. When I got done the barrel had a 2 degree cant but does work. alot of hand work.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

+1 on these, and extractors.

Also, CZ52 firing pins that are properly heat treated.

14. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

A lot of the parts everyone is asking for, are cheap parts and would not be $$ wise to produce.
    Like the firing pins, I'm sure you wouldn't want to pay $50 to $80 for one.
    By the time you figure in cost of material, machine set-up, cost of running the tooling, heat treat cost, packaging and shipping, and a big jump in insurance cost when they find out that you are making gun parts because of liability.
    That is about how much it would cost to make a small run of them, and making a large run of them would not sell.
    If you need a small part to replace a broken one try some of the smaller machine shops or one in a small town. You may have to spend a lot more than you want to but you will have your gun working again.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  15. A bit more ambitious...

There are no barrels available for the old style 'pinned' barrel S&W model 19 revolvers. A cracked barrel makes the revolver completely unusable.

I'm not sure how to market them, but I know there are some folks who would be delighted to see replacements.

16. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

You can buy spare extractors, but the FP's and trigger group parts are restricted. The only aftermarket FP is junk and breaks within 500 rnds.

If you could re design and make a good Mini fP, you would sell them like crazy.
    Here's why, first, they break a lot, second, if you have modified your rifle in any way, Ruger will replace the FP, but takes out and keeps all your mods replacing them with their new junk parts.
    No one wants to send their Minis to Ruger to get a new FP, but they have no choice.
    The new model improved Minis are selling very well, but still break FP's and everyone I know would buy 2 or 3 spares if they could get a new pin. People will pay a decent amount for a Mini FP as long as it does not break.

If you ever want to make a new FP, PM me, I can give you a lot of info on the Mini's.

John K